Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my aluminium window frames crumbling?

Jules2023
Getting Established

Why are my aluminium window frames crumbling?

90E28E1F-C413-4610-9414-FD087A2588EF.jpeg

155AB9A4-2953-4A0E-A2D8-24513096BE85.jpeg

37B73841-46E7-40CA-9F05-C326D7E4EF43.jpeg

About 6 weeks ago I was window cleaning and noticed some soft spots in my coated aluminium window frames, which appeared to be crumbling and some clear silicone looking substance behind. Since then it has dried and shrunk and can see right through to the wall cavity. House (and assuming windows) is about 27yo, this window is on exposed wnw wall, but have the same thing on a sliding door frame on sheltered opposite side of house.

Has anyone seen this? I read about how mortar can react with aluminium, and the damage is certainly in line with mortar joints. Any recommendation for a fix? I'm guessing at least some expanding foam?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why are my aluminium window frames crumbling?

Hello @Jules2023 

It might be necessary to push the silicone into the gap by using a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper. Once you've placed a bead on the gap, use the plastic scraper to push it into the gap as much as possible. Hopefully by covering the edge of the aluminium the reaction will stop.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects