Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do i remove stuck fly screen with spring loaded pins?

fraser
Finding My Feet

How do i remove stuck fly screen with spring loaded pins?

image.jpg

  

image.jpg

Happy Easter. Trying to undo fly screens and it looks like it’s secured with spring loaded pins. Can’t undo with pliers - have tried twisting and pulling and WD40. Maybe it’s just ancient and stuck for good? Advice appreciated. 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i remove stuck fly screen with spring loaded pins?

Hi @fraser,

You could attach a pair of locking pliers tightly onto the pin. They would give significantly more grip on them. You might even be able to tap the side of the pliers with a hammer to encourage the pin out of its home.

Is there any gap between the fly screen frame and the window frame? If so, you might be able to slide a mini hacksaw blade in the gap and cut the pins. A fine flathead screwdriver could be used to lever the screen away from the window frame to provide that needed space. Be very careful not to damage the window frame whilst cutting.

Let me mention a few of out talented members, @TedBear1, @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @Jewelleryrescue, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @fraser 

I must admit I have not seen a flyscereen with locking pins before. Trying to pull the pins out with a pair of lockable pliers (vicegrips) may work. While I was thinking about it I stary thought came across my mind, Have you tried lifting the screen upwards? Either pushing the top of the screen up or levering it from the bottom (Be careful as it does bend easily) I am thinkingthat the weight of the screen is clamping the pins tightly so if the weight is lifted off the pins they may come out easier?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @fraser 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend tyring to twist the pins first to loosen them up. Using the lockable pliers would be ideal for this. The likelihood of the frame sitting on the pins is is a definite possibility. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your flyscreen uninstalled.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects