Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair or get broken piece to stick back on door?

heins1
Just Starting Out

How to repair or get broken piece to stick back on door?

Hi Guys   

Im in need of advice of how to best to repair this piece of the door which has fallen off. I have tried to use super glue to reattach it and have had no luck with it successfully attaching.

Not sure if this implicates the repairing job, but I thought I might also add that the previous tenants/landlord have previously repaired this damage. 

Any advice is much appreciated! 

IMG_1791.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair or get broken piece to stick back on door?

Hello @heins1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your door.

First, I suggest removing all the excess glue and debris that is on the back of the broken panel. Unfortunately, super glue is not an ideal adhesive for this type of panel. Instead, I suggest using Selleys 130g Liquid Nails Ezi Press. This is construction adhesive which is perfect for this type of material. 

I propose putting a bead at the timber frame of the door at the bottom. Make sure that it is not excessive or too close to the carpet. Place the board back to its original position and press firmly to spread the adhesive. Use masking tape to hold the panel in place until the adhesive cures. 

Once the adhesive is dry you can then remove the tape and apply UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler - 500g to the edge to cover up the gap. Your objective is to put a light cover and not over apply the filler. When the filler cures you can then sand it down lightly and paint the patch.

My best advice is to put some paper under the door so that the carpet is protected from any accidental over spill of the glue. 

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to repair or get broken piece to stick back on door?

Hi @heins1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I trust you found Eric's reply helpful.

If you wanted to consider replacing the door, we could also assist with recommendations.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects