Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a heavy mirror?

khwajas
Growing in Experience

How to hang a heavy mirror?

I have a 5 mm mirror about 25 kg in weight.  I had it framed as the older frame was damaged when I removed the mirror as it was screwed into wall from all sides.  Now I wish to simply hang on the wall elsewhere.  I managed to find stud and using steel wire I hung the mirror. But issue is the framing guy gave me some flimsy brackets attached to the mirror and when I hung the mirror, these brackets gave way. If  I can get some recommendation on the right brackets I should be ok.  Sone American sites talk about cleats but cannot find these anywhere except Amazon.

In addition the framing guy advised me that given the weight of the 5mm mirror I should support the frame at the bottom.  I am intending to use an aluminium angle but not too sure if this is

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

the right approach.  

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: hanging a heavy mirror

Hi @khwajas 

Yes those tiny brackets are terribly small across the 3 studs.

The simpelest solution is to take those  wall brackets off and bin them and replace them  with 40mm wood screws into the same holes one in each stud with the screw head protruding 10mm and hook the wire over all 3 screw  heads no need  for bottom aluminium rail.

Have  fun and  Merry Xmas

Merry Xmas.  Thx for the response.  So as I understand I need to remove existing two brackets off the mirror back and replace these with 40mm wood screw? But what are these screws going into or am I affixing any bracket to the mirror back?  A little clarity will help.  

as for the bottom support the entire weight of the mirror is on the bottom frame.  Do you think Murrow won’t slide out? 

Hi @khwajas  only take out the three wall hooks and screws in your photo of the wall and screws into studs and replace them with 3 x 40mm screws with the  heads sitting out of the wall by 5mm.

As far as I can tell the mirror does not need alteration.  There are no photos of the bottom of the mirror to guage its strengh as to mirror falling out but if the top of the mirror is constructed the same way as the bottom it will hold .

Now loop the wire  across the screw  heads sticking out of the wall. and you should be done.

Thx again.  That sounds good. The only concern is the wire which was strung between two brackets on back of mirror but the brackets were not able to bear the weight.  Any recommendation on that please.  

Hi @khwajas

That wire looks  like it will hold a solid wieght as well as the brackets ( from looking at it with my monitor ) on the mirror itself.

But if you are concerned  you can install a 2nd  backup wire with additional mounting points.

Its really your framing guy that should have  built it properly with a strong cable to support 25kg  I does concern me he wants it supported underneath to as if hes expecting  some failure to occur?

So if you want hang the mirror and use your aluminium angle under the frame as it sits on the wall you can mark where the angle sits  pre drill it it aline  with the studs and screw it in with 30 to 40mm wood screws. Draw a vertical line down from  the screws above. as the studsare vertical.

We  dont  want that mirror to fall so add  the precautions as backups.

Merry Xmas 

Many thanks once again.  The brackets at the back are the issue as one of these fave way. I should have added a pic of that.  I will go to Bunnings to look for a sturdy bracket.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @khwajas. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a mirror.

If those brackets on the mirror are at the top, then they are around the wrong way. The loop should be at the top of the bracket, not the bottom. In their current orientation, the weight of the mirror is pulling solely on the bottom screw. I'm not sure what part of the bracket broke or if the screws were pulled out, so that extra bit of information might assist. The issue is that at 25kg, you're maxing out the extent of mirror hanging brackets, and a cleated system would probably be the better option. This would involve screwing a strip of baton timber to the top and bottom rear edge of the mirror and then the corresponding sections on the wall. The batons on the back of the mirror are placed over those on the wall so the mirror's weight is transferred directly to them. The two sets of batons are screwed together to lock the mirror onto the wall. I've created a rendering below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
khwajas
Growing in Experience

Thx a lot. This is something that would really hold it in place.  However when I place one baton at the back of mirror onto  the other on the wall how would these be inter locked?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @khwajas,

You'd screw directly through the batons. You'll likely need an extra long drive bit to install the screws. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects