Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What tool for replacing skirting boards?

swk
Just Starting Out

What tool for replacing skirting boards?

Hi all what is the most handy tool I should invest in to mitre skirting boards and door frames?  Looking to do our whole 70s place. Thanks and Merry Christmas all

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Replacing whole house skirting boards

Hi @swk 

Try  the following a  mitre box  will guide your saw cut into the  timber and give good  results. Do buy a good panel saw to work  with this  Mitre  box,

Magnet Mitre Box I/N: 5822889 $11.50

Trojan 360mm Toolbox Hand Saw I/N: 0191073  $9.98

These  will start you well into that DIY project 

Merry Xmas

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Personally given you said you would be doing the whole house I would buy an electric mitre saw. Cheap ones that will do skirting will start at about 110 at Bunnings . Once you have the angle set it will save you hours of work and be easier. Ask about the best blade for skirting you may want to swap for a neater cut. If you intend to start renovating big time it may be worth considering a sliding mitre saw (more expensive but a lot more useable) JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @swk. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing skirting boards.

For several cuts, @Jewelleryrescue has offered a budget-friendly solution, but for a whole house, I'd be going with @JDE's advice of a compound mitre saw. I've used the Ozito 1600W 210mm 8¼" Corded Compound Mitre Saw extensively, and it's performed very well. As @JDE has mentioned, though, for larger work, you might like to consider the sliding option with a larger blade: Ozito 2100W 254mm 10" Corded Double Bevel Sliding Mitre Saw.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects