Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add wall moulding?

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

How to add wall moulding?

Hello,

So this platform has been very helpful to me in reading about the wall moulding and seeing projects. I am on my way to start the home improvement journey and stage 1 is the panel mould trim in the hallway walls which at the moment look dull. 

I just need clarification / assistance with the below queries:

- I will be using liquid nails as adhesive for the mould. Is it better to just use the nails ( I have a Ryobi brad nailer) at the studs instead of the liquid nails. I have heard removing liquid nail adhesion will ruin the wall. Also i only intend to nail at the studs and not drywall.

- The over spill and the squeeze of the liquid nails.  is it easy to remove?

- Where do I nail the mould panel at? is there a specific location i need to be aiming at and what angle is the best? perfectly horizontal will be fine?

- The panel mould i have got is not primes. I want to install on the wall and then paint afterwards. will this be problem? the top rail is primed. the profile of the mould is this : Porta 30x12mm 2.4m Panel Mould Clear Pine - Bunnings Australia

- Do i need to clean the walls or do any pre work on the wall before hand? Thats because the paint is fresh on the wall when i bought the house a couple of years ago so i want to painting the walls again but will paint the panel moulds.

Thanks and looking forward to sharing some photos soon.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add wall moulding?

Hi @SaadMalik,

Using liquid nails along with brad nails will be the most secure fixing method, but if you're concerned about removing the moulding in the future, nailing directly into studs with your brad nailer should suffice. Just ensure you hit the studs securely for proper support. Depending on the distance between your studs, it might be best to place an additional brad nail in the middle between each set of studs and fixed into the plasterboard.

Liquid nails can be messy if it squeezes out, but it's fairly easy to clean up with a damp cloth before it dries. Just wipe away the excess gently to avoid smearing. Applying painter's tape on either side of where the moulding is positioned not only will provide guidelines for you to work to, but it will stop any squeeze out getting on the painted surfaces adjacent to the moulding.

Nail through the moulding at its thickest point whilst fixing in place. You might like to also place a second row of nails along the thinner side. Take care not to fix too close to the edge on the thinner side as to avoid splitting the timber.

I'd recommend painting the moulding before fixing it to the wall, or at least priming it. However, you can complete the priming and painting once the mouldings are on the wall.

It's always a good idea to clean the walls before installing moulding to ensure proper adhesion. Wipe down the surface with a mild detergent solution or Sugar Soap to remove any dirt, dust, or grease. If the paint is in good condition, you can paint over it along with the moulding.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

IMG_7742.jpeg

Thanks Mitch,

it’s coming along nicely at the moment. Will share photos when complete

Looking great @SaadMalik

Mitchell

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitch,

Since the panel mould i have used is unprimed. Can you tell me the primer products that i can potentially use. 

Also I am sure about the paint finish. Is it generally glossy finish on the moulds?

If possible can you also share link of other users projects with paint descriptions.

Hi @SaadMalik,

Dulux 1step would be a suitable primer for your timber. Paint finish-wise, that would really be up to you and your tastes. Typically, if you want to draw attention to an item and make it stand out, you will use gloss paint, but if you want to conceal it, use a low sheen. In your case, since the walls are low sheen, you might like to use a semi-gloss as it will help the trim work stand out and create a feature.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @SaadMalik 

That really looks nice! Definently going from bland to stylish! 

Cant wait to see it finished :smile:

Dave

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

Thanks - hoping to finish it over the long weekend!

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SaadMalik 

Thank you very much for posting that update. Your wainscotting project looks fantastic.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects