Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Wainscoting entry hallway overhaul

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

Wainscoting entry hallway overhaul

Decided to decorate the entry hallway walls with panel moudling and I think the result came out pretty good. Wasn't sure if i will be able to do it but this forum has been very helpful to ask questions every time i got stuck.

I think it came out very good and has truly transformed the space.

Hopefully my effort inspire other people to take up similar projects as well.

Steps

Step 1

- Took the measurements of the walls and draw a rough plan on paper.

- Marked out the outlines on the walls to get an idea on how it looks. Really recommend  Stanley 1200mm High Impact ABS Resin Spirit Level - Bunnings Australia.

- Locate the studs and use a tape or similar to mark out the location.

- Cut the pine mould to size. Pine mould used is Porta 30x12mm 2.4m Panel Mould Clear Pine - Bunnings Australia

- I used the craftright mitre box to cut the pine Craftright Mitre Box And Saw Set - Bunnings Australia

- Stick the mould on the wall along the pencil lining. I used selley fast grab liquid and Nailed them into the studs using a Ryobi Brad nailer. The vertical panels I only used glue as they did not line up with the studs. Fill the holes with wood filler.

- I ended up with joints between the moulds so used Timbermate wood filler. A tip would be to use this as little as possible. I was quite generous initially and it became a time consuming task to sand it all down.

- For the chair rail install would really recommend using a laser level to get your line. i used 66 x 11mm 5.4m Moulding White Pine FJ Primed Colonial SA1 - Bunnings Australia

- Double check the chair rail height from the top of skirting is consistent all the way through. use the stanley spirit level as it also has a ruler. This is to make sure you get it a perfect horizontal on the chair rail.

- Taped around the pine to prime it. Remove the tape when the primer is dry.

PHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (1).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (2).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (3).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (5).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (6).jpgPHOTO-2024-04-02-09-54-40 (7).jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Wainscoting entry hallway overhaul

Afternoon @SaadMalik 

:smile: From a very plain hall to something that has a lot of class. You really have lifted that space out of the dolldrums. Even to the point of me wondering how I could incorporate the trim into my own short hallway :smile:

Nice work and well worth it.

Dave

SaadMalik
Growing in Experience

Re: Wainscoting entry hallway overhaul

Thanks for your kind words Dave. I hope it encourages you try something exciting for your hallway.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Panel moulding entry hallway overhaul

Hi @SaadMalik 

Thank you very much for sharing the details of your wainscotting project. It looks very modern and stylish. I'm in total agreement with Dave-1 and think that this would be a worthwhile addition even in a short hallway. 

Again, thanks for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects