Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a large wooden frame for darts?

RegentHoney
Getting Established

How to build a large wooden frame for darts?

Hi,

I’m trying to build a large wooden frame to use as a small archery/dart throwing type range. Attached is a picture explaining what I mean better. I plan on using plywood sheets on the left and right sides. The front would be open and the back would have a net hanging from the frame. It would be 2.5M high, 3.5M long and 2.6M wide. Is the frame in my picture a viable option or would I need more beams etc for stability. Haven’t made something like this before so I have no idea what I’d need in terms of screws, fittings etc.

Thanks!

CE2C2AD7-5029-4CFA-966B-5671C7358E56.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a large wooden frame for darts?

Sounds like a fun project @RegentHoney.

Let me tag some helpful members such as @Dave-1@Jewelleryrescue and @TedBear to see how they would go about the build and what materials they would use. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts such as @EricL would also be happy to assist. 

I suspect one of the most important things for them to know though might be whether this structure is going to be outside in the weather or under some sort of cover, and also on what base? Could you please let us know?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and we look forward to reading more about your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RegentHoney
Getting Established

Hey,

Thanks a lot!

The frame would be inside a garage so weather shouldn’t be an issue.

The garage floor feels rubberish but I’m not sure exactly what it is. I planned on placing synthetic grass underneath.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RegentHoney 

Thanks for providing the measurements for your proposed wooden frame. It sounds like a you are building a safety cage for throwing activities. In order to keep the frame rigid, I suggest adding extra support every one meter and placing a cross brace in the corners to prevent the frame from twisting or shearing. I suggest using the offcuts of the timber lengths to save on materials. 

I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how it can be assembled. Please ignore the measurements and adjust it to your needs.

If you are using 70x35 framing timber, I suggest using Zenith 10G x 65mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 50 Pack to screw the frame all together. As for the net, I recommend Cyclone 2.5 x 2.5m x 5mm Backyard Farmer Anti Bird Net or similar.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

RegentHoney
Getting Established

Thank you so much!

Can the cross braces be in line with the frame or should it be outside like in the picture? 
Also would it be possible to get the wood pieces etc cut at Bunnings so I can pick it up and assemble it? 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @RegentHoney 

@EricL has nailed it :smile: Well screwed I would suggest lol

To answer your questions..

I would have the cross braces the way Eric has drawn them, inside the frame they may not be as secure long term and you want the frame to be not wobbly. If you are confident with timber work then you could cut and chisel notches so its all flush and also retaining its strength. If you are not so confident then you could also put those braces on the outside of the frame, that way you could have a nice easy surface to work with.

Bunnings do cut timber but think of it as cutting pieces up for transportation more then accurate cuts to the mm, A cheap circular saw by ozito works wonders (I built my hardwood deck with ozito tools and must admit I was surprised at how well they go) BTW if you keep an eye out at your local Bunnings Ozito generally have a "pack" of these tools, They may not be all you need but its something I keep an eye out for,

Welcome to the Bunnings Community page :smile: You definitely are in the right place for finding ideas and ways to move forward on projects :smile:

Also here is a link to when I framed up sections of my garage, it was surprisingly easy to do. So hit us up if you have questions and cant wait to see your project!  Garage lining for stud walls stage 1 

Dave

Thank you so much! 
Will head out to Bunnings soon! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RegentHoney 

@Dave-1's recommendation is spot on! If you have the equipment to cut the cross braces in it would look much better and give it a professional finish. If you need the timber cut down for transportation, then it is possible. But for accurate cuts, it's better to do it at home.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects