Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level ground to lay pavers?

Sandra-
Finding My Feet

How to level ground to lay pavers?

Hi all, thanks in advance.  I am needing to lay pavers so I can put up a garden shed. I have been really struggling so I purchased timber stakes and line,  I can't even get them right so it's square.  Can I please have some advice 

20240117_085811.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to level ground to lay pavers?

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @Sandra-. We're pleased to have you join the community and trust you'll get heaps of helpful advice as well as project ideas and inspiration from our clever and creative members. 

Have you seen the Bunnings video How to prepare and lay a base for pavers? I'd add it below. There's also a step-by-step guide on the Bunnings website.   

Please have a good look and let us know if you have any follow-up questions. I'll also tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts @EricL and @MitchellMc to see if they can share some tips and tricks with you. 

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sandra- 

You've done very well so far by marking the area you need to compact. If the floor area is rectangular an easy way to check if you are square is to measure diagonally from one corner to the other. If the measurement of one side is smaller, the smaller side of the rectangle must be adjusted so that they square up.

Please note that the vertical measurements of the sides of your rectangle must be the same. 

In regards to the preparation of the soil, I suggest hiring a compactor to level the ground. I also suggest having a look at this featured discussion - Garden shed on a semi-permanent base by @riziqbl. This is an excellent example of building a timber frame to lock your pavers in place. Even in a strong downpour the shed flooring will stay in place.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you 

Thank you so very much Eric,  your information is very helpful 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects