Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to close the gap between louvre and house?

Alicia33
Getting Established

How to close the gap between louvre and house?

Just working on our outdoor area. We got a 6x4 louvre installed however when the deck was built it wasn’t measured properly so now we have a bit of a gap between the house and the louvre where water comes through. Any ideas on how I can close this gap?

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

IMG_2196.jpeg

  

Gap is about 56cm out. So need something to cover 4m x 56cm?? Thanks 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to close the gap between louvre and house?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Alicia33. It's great to have you join us. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration from our members for all your projects around the house and garden. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have a project to share.

Let me tag some helpful members in @Dave-1@Jewelleryrescue@TedBear and @EricL to kick off the discussion and share their thoughts on how they might tackle this problem. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I suggest attaching some zinc angle to the section of steel below your house gutter to fill the gap and deflect rain into the patio roof.

Something like this (you'll need to over lap two sheets)...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fielders-2-4m-100mm-zinc-angle_p4790173

You should be able to pop rivet it on.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Alicia33 

Firstly Id like to say Hello and welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Its a nice place to hang out and just scroll through peoples projects and questions.

I really like @TedBear's suggestion and I mean really, as when I was looking at the pictures I was trying to figure out someway to span and attach whatever I could. Id add to his suggestion in one tiny way. (I am pretty sure you can get longer L shapes (yep  just checked, 150mm wide)

Firstly attach just under the gutter a length of 66 x 18mm 5.4m Moulding H3 Treated Pine FJ Primed Pencil Round LOSP 

This will give a slanted look to the L shape and allow the rain to fall off towards the gazebo roof

Think of an lazy L lying down on the job with the short part of the L standing on the right. Looking at your gazebo from the point of where you took the photos, The short part of the L will be attached to the new timber strip at the top (just under the gutter) and the eve at the bottom, giving the Long lazy L a tilted effect to allow the rain to drain towards the gazebo.

Dave but really Ted :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Alicia33 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @TedBear and @Dave-1. I totally agree with using the Fielders 2.4m 100mm Zinc Angle to prevent water from splashing in between the gap. My only other suggestion would be to use Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant to prevent water from flowing between the zinc angle and the gazebo frame.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Alicia33
Getting Established

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think my photos don’t show just how big the space is. Maybe calling it a gap wasn’t the right word… Our ceilings in the house are 2.7m and the gazebo is only 2.4m so the space between the house and the gazebo is about 50cm+. The sliding door frame

IMG_9307.jpeg

sits higher than the gazebo. I have attached another photo from inside to show this space. I am trying to ensure that no water at all gets through. Could I possibly use flashings? Maybe I will need to get a custom flashing? Or maybe corrugated roofing somehow? Thanks again for all the suggestions so far! 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Alicia33 

Mmmmm You have me thinking, I will probably be at Bunnings tomorrow lol I keep needing bits and pieces, I will try and remember to troll through the roofing aisle to see if I can come up with something.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Alicia33 

Thank you for sharing those extra photos. I propose using the Suntuf 127 x 5 x 15cm Clear Corrugated Polycarbonate Wall Flashing on the gazebo and the fascia of the roof in combination with the Suntuf 860 x 17mm x 2.4m Clear Corrugated Polycarbonate Roofing Sheet. The sheet will need to be cut to size so that it fits between the two wall flashings.

It will be easy to install and is light weight so it will hardly put any stress on the gazebo or your roof.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Alicia33
Getting Established

Thank you so much Eric I actually think this sounds perfect! Will give it a go and let you know how it goes. 
thanks

Alicia 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects