Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach a child swing to a steel beam on deck?

BBM
Just Starting Out

How to attach a child swing to a steel beam on deck?

Hi there! I’d love to install a child’s swing for my 1yr old daughter outside on our deck. Is there a way to attach the swing to this steel beam? Either installing bolts through the beam horizontally, and then a loop/clip to attach the swing, or drilling up vertically into the beam? 

IMG_0302.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Attach a child swing to a steel beam on deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BBM. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a swing.

That appears to be a box beam, and without knowing the thickness of the wall or its structural capabilities, it would be hard for our members to provide an answer. Only the beam manufacturer can give you a definitive answer on whether the beam can be used. Given this, I'd highly recommend you enlist the services of a tradesperson to install the swing. Instead of drilling into the structural beam, it might be best for them to look at the roof structure to determine if any other points of connection could be used.

My concern here is that it is likely quite a lightweight beam designed to hold up your lightweight roof sheeting and is not designed to accommodate the additional load of a swing or be compromised by having holes drilled through it. I understand that we are talking about a light swing and a small child, but I can't risk saying it will be fine when the safety of a child is involved.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects