Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What drill to use to attach brackets?

SJL
Finding My Feet

What drill to use to attach brackets?

IMG_0007.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to choose a drill?

Hi  @SJL 

This artical  by  @MitchellMc should answer many of your  questions.

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Best-Advice/How-do-you-choose-a-cordless-drill/ta-p/81767

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: which drill to use

Hello @SJL 

Can you please tell us a bit more about your project? Are you drilling into the brick wall or the concrete ceiling? What are you planning to mount on the wall or ceiling? Do you already have a drill or are you asking about the drill bit? 

Once we have more information about your project, we'll be able to give you recommendations on how to proceed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SJL
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Yes I already have a drill (bought one just after reading the article shared above), 

Now my biggest question is what is the right size of drill to use on a building structure like my balcony brick wall and the concrete pillar? 

I don't want to cause any structural damage.

Also do I just drill anywhere? or should I check where are the metal possible behind the Concrete pillar?

I will be attaching few brackets to hang curtains using ropes on the top and the bottom to create a boundary enslosed effect from having open air.

Thank you so much!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SJL,

Would you please let us know what type of drill you have? Typically, you'd use a hammer drill for bricks, and with that style of drill, you'd use a masonry drill bit. The right size of drill bit would be the one that suits your intended fixings. I see you'll be installing brackets and the fixing must be suitable to that particular bracket. These masonry plug kits will often be suitable, and they conveniently include the wall plug, drill bit and fixing. Just make sure you pick up a kit where the screw fixing is a suitable size for your bracket.

When drilling into brick, there is always a chance that there could be electrical cables and water pipes within the wall. There's no definitive way of determining what might be inside the wall. If you are concerned about potentially drilling into them, I'd recommend you consider enlisting the services of a professional to mount the brackets. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

I currently have a Hammer Drill.

I have not used it before though.

I am now more concerned about applications whether it will cause any issues structurally and also it will be considered as “major or minor” work by the strata.

strata guidelines says - hanging pictures is not considered as major but minor which doesn’t not require strata approval.

I believe this amount of work attaching a hook or holders will be considered as minor work? What is opinion?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SJL,

I can't imagine placing a few holes in bricks would cause structural issues; it's not as if you are removing bricks. You might like to check with a strata committee member, but I would assume drilling holes for a bracket would be similar to drilling holes to hang a picture. I'd suggest checking with them if you haven't seen other balconies with hanging plants, as that might not be something they allow. Sometimes, strata like to ensure that all balconies look the same.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to drill into brick.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects