Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix chipped timber deck?

hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

How to fix chipped timber deck?

Hi

there is a chip on my outdoor timber deck as shown. Any options to fix it? Or should I replace the whole impacted panels (2 of them)? Or are there any options to make it look better or conceal?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3005.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix chipped timber deck?

Hi @hisumesh 

I would sand that timber flat and smooth as I could on and angle trying hard to make it look  a natural apart of the deck and restain over it the same  color rather than replace the two  deck boards.

Stain will come from your original deck project.

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Thanks mate.

I am a novice. Hence, bear with me if this is silly. Any article or videos on how do I go about sanding the edges? I will ask the builder about the stain that was used when the deck was originally put in place. 

again, thanks a lot mate. 

Hi @hisumesh

The goal of sanding  your deck is to  sand the corners at an angle say 45 degrees to  get rid of the splintered wood at just  the corner not the full length. The 45 degree will be noticable too you but not  ugly like the timber is  now if fact it might look almost planned you will notice it but others  wont.

Use  you tube to learn stuff keeping in mind USA and UK might use different products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXFnzZg-SPo

Excellent @Jewelleryrescue . Thanks mate.

Hi @hisumesh 

You might be able to color that timber  edge with a dark brown texta or the closest match to the deck color Even a bit of brown shoe polish just try in a small spot first.  try match the color close before tring.

But if you learn you true deck color and brand of stain maker. buy a small tin for  these trouble some  marks. 250 to 500ml if possible. 

Good to  get the same sealer to as periodically it will want sealing to keep it fresh so it wont be wasted.

Have fun learning I am off to do some wood work myself.  :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @hisumesh 

Thats excellent advice coming from @Jewelleryrescue. I'm in total agreement that sanding the damage down will visually lessen the impact of the chipped wood. Your goal is to gradually sand it down and have it visually look part of the smooth finish of the timber without any abrupt angles.

I also recommend checking your shed just in case you still have the old container of the stain used on your deck. Looking at the picture you posted it looks very dark but perhaps this is because its wet. I suggest checking with your deck builder and see if they can confirm the oil colour used on your deck.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue 

hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL 

Thanks mate. This is a brand new house and deck. Hence, unsure of the paint or oil that was used but let me ask the developer or builder.

a question - any specific brands or tools you would recommend for sanding that I can buy (may be rent) from Bunnings for this project? A question from a novice or beginner:-)

Hi @hisumesh 

I lov  my hi end power tools but I also own  abunch of ozito power tools for there  prirce there quailty  very  usable just dont push them too hard.  and always but aftermarket bladesfor them as the accessories they come with wear out in 10 mins.

So as a sander today and the future applications try,,  buy  extra sanding disk s time of purchase. approx 80 gt   120gt  250gt 

$49.98

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects