Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a barbeque, gazebo and pergola?

lavanya
Getting Established

How to add a barbeque, gazebo and pergola?

Picture1.jpg

Hi Bunnings Team,

I am planning for a barbeque towards this open area , can you please advise an outdoor kitchen ideas. As it is open space how can we go about have Gazebo or Pergola and a barbeque. Please advise. Much appreciate your help.

Thanks

Lavanya

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add a barbeque, gazebo and pergola?

Hello @lavanya 

What an exciting project to plan out, let me try and offer some recommendations before you start planning. Do you want a covered entertainment area, or do you want it open? This will decide if you'll be going for a pergola or a gazebo. Do you want a fixed BBQ area next to a fixed wall or do you want a large mobile gas BBQ? This will also allow you to decide which one to go for.

Before you begin planning, I suggest having a look at these featured projects our Workshop members have shared:

Before putting pen to paper, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations regarding the requirements when building a gazebo or pergola. There might be size and height limitations when it's being built next to your house.

Once you have the information that you need you can then start planning. I also suggest having a look at the gazebo range available at the store. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @MGusto and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lavanya
Getting Established

Hi Eric,

Thank you for sharing the details of the project.

I am looking for a covered entertainment unit , I am looking for medium size fixed BBQ , not towards the wall ..opp to the wall where there is open space.

Can you please advise which ones goes better, budget friendly fixed BBQ or portable BBQ.

Covered entertainment will help to stay more outdoor and doing family activities. 

Yes this project will be very exciting one.

Thanks

Lavanya

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lavanya 

That is a good start, if you are after a covered entertainment unit how big an area will you be covering? If you want something that is pre-built, I suggest having a look at the Gazebos the store carries. Please keep in mind that some states require a permit when you are building a gazebo in your backyard. Make sure to check the rules of your local council.

The same rules apply if you wish to build something from scratch. I recommend speaking to a draughts person who can draw up a plan for you. If the draughts person is familiar with local council law, they should be able to make a plan for you that will pass council approval.

In regards to the BBQ, I prefer mine to be mobile but that is a personal choice. The reason I prefer a mobile BBQ is because you can position yourself in the best possible spot in the covered area. Whether it's windy, sunny or rainy you can move your BBQ into the spot you are most comfortable in.

Here is an excellent example of a large BBQ - Matador Palladium 6 Burner BBQ - LCC27. It's a six burner with a viewing window and comes with a control cover for protection.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

lavanya
Getting Established

Hi Eric and Team, Happy New Year to you all. In relation to the previous response , I am looking for the covered entertainment area.

As per council suggestions it is as per the VIC construction rules and regulations below is sourced from google

not more than 3.6m in height, andis not more than 20m2 in floor area.

If the height is less than 3 meters and the floor area is 10 square meter we do not require any permit. Can you please confirm based on your experience and share the design which matches to the same measurements.

Thanks

Lavy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lavanya,

There are a few kits that would suit your requirements. We have the Canopia 3.0 x 3.0m Milano Gazebo Kit, Absco Structures 3.0 x 3.0 x 3.0m Monument Single Patio Cover - Monument and Softwoods 3.0 x 2.9m Hip Ends Gazebo Kit - 3.0 x 2.9m. All the other kits are either too large a square meterage or too high.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you.

Does Bunnings do installation.

Which one is rust free and how does the rainwater flow.

Thanks 

Lavy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lavanya,

There is no assembly service for gazebos, so you might like to look towards services such as Hipages or airtasker to advertise the job.

The Canopia 3.0 x 3.0m Milano Gazebo Kit, is of aluminium construction which means it does not rust and has gutters to divert water, the Absco Structures 3.0 x 3.0 x 3.0m Monument Single Patio Cover - Monument is of powder-coated steel construction and includes internal gutters and downpipes. The Softwoods 3.0 x 2.9m Hip Ends Gazebo Kit - 3.0 x 2.9m is of timber construction and also includes guttering.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects