Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint PVC downpipes?

Nickim1
Growing in Experience

How to paint PVC downpipes?

I've recently had PVC downpipes (and side pipes) installed around my house and have been told they need to be painted for durability. (Also they're white and stick out badly.)

I'm planning to sand lightly, then use a white primer (British Paints prep 4 in 1), then one or two coats of paint (with a brush). 

Questions are:
Can I skip either of the first two steps?
What kind of paint should I use for the top coat (anything special?)

Any other tips gratefully accepted as well.
Thanks 

Thanks - my test strips attached for interest. Colour choice isn't that easy either!IMG_5959.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: PVC downpipes - prep and painting

Hi @Nickim1,

Taubmans Sunproof would be a suitable product to coat your PVC pipe with. Make sure you give the pipe a good scrub down with Sugar Soap and a Scotchbrite pad. Flush the residue off and leave to dry. Provided the shiny surface of the PVC has been dulled by the scouring process. You should be fine to paint straight onto the pipe, as the Sunproof has an inbuilt primer. To test, you can apply a small amount of paint to a section and wait 24 hours for it to dry. Apply clear sticky tape across the area and press it down firmly. Rip the sticky tape back off. If it pulls the paint off, you'll need to prime the pipe first. I recommend Taubmans 1L White 3 In 1 Interior And Exterior Primer Undercoat Sealer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nickim1
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell and thanks :smile: 

Is there a reason why you recommend the Taubmans 3 in 1 instead of the 4 in 1?  (that I already have 4L of https://www.bunnings.com.au/british-paints-white-4-in-1-prep-water-based-primer-sealer-undercoat-4l_...)

Also, will I be able to get Taubmans Sunpoof to match a Dulux colour sample (which I've already selected), or is there an equivalent Dulux paint?

Thanks again for your help.

Nicki

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nickim1,

British Paints White 4 In 1 Prep Water Based Primer Sealer Undercoat will be fine to use. Just follow those cleaning steps, and you'll be right to use that. If you are going with the British paints undercoat, you might as well switch to Dulux Weathershield since that's your chosen colour. I only recommended the Sunproof as that also had a suitable primer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects