Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. spa deck and patio

Oreoprojects
Having an Impact

D.I.Y. spa deck and patio

Built fortified deck for spa 4m x 3m. Installed overhead patio cover over spa. Built secondary relaxation deck next to spa. My dog Oreo was my building inspector. He enjoys the outdoor area. Built fortified decking beams to hold the weight of the spa. No outside help to do this - all done my myself with all materials purchased from Bunnings Botany NZ - great staff who are helpful.

Materials

Decking beams 140x450

Decking timber 140 x19

Coach bolts to fasten down decking.

joist hangers and twisties.

Tools

Hole borer

Makita sliding mitre saw

Bosh drills and drivers

Steps

Step 1

1. Clear area and remove old shed.

Step 2

2. Dig 16 holes 600 deep.

Step 3

3. Cement poles.

Step 4

4. Install decking beams. Fortified beams for spa requirements

Step 5

5. Install decking timber and fasten down with coach bolts - do not waste time with decking screws.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. spa deck and patio

Congratulations on this terrific outdoor project, @Oreoprojects! Your spa deck and patio looks like a perfect place for relaxing and entertaining family and friends. I can imagine Oreo having a ball too. 

What were your biggest learnings from this project? And any words of advice for our members who may be looking to do something similar in their homes?

I trust you've been finding Workshop a great resource for helpful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring ideas. Please do keep us updated on your next project. We'd love to see more of your work. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Oreoprojects 

That would be a fair amount of work. Any chance of some more photos of how you built the deck and supporting structure?

I was wondering what type of poles you used for the posts?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Oreoprojects 

It looks fantastic, will you be installing LED festoon lighting in the area, or do you have a different lighting system in mind? How long did it take you to build it? Did you run into any challenges while you were building it? Any extra information you can share about its assembly would be very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi. EricL. I installed LED downlights under the house eves which lights up the whole spa and entertainment area. The most difficult part was digging 16 holes 700 deep. Even with my hole borer it took three days to dig. I used 120x120 house piles for the poles. As per NZ building code i cut an L shape at the top of the pole to accomodate the 140 x 45 deck beam. Used the 140 x 45 timber to makes the bearers. Used to 140 x45 on either side and a 100 block in the middle. Then screwed both with a 12 gauge coach bolt. This too a long time. The whole project from start to finish took 6 weekends. I will post pictures of the poles, bearers etc. PS: as per building code I did not attach this deck to the house but buried poles along the house - spa deck is load bearing and if you attach to wall and things go wrong insurance will not cover you. Cheers

Hi. Dave - 1

I installed LED downlights under the house eves which lights up the whole spa and entertainment area. The most difficult part was digging 16 holes 700 deep. Even with my hole borer it took three days to dig. I used 120x120 house piles for the poles. As per NZ building code i cut an L shape at the top of the pole to accomodate the 140 x 45 deck beam. Used the 140 x 45 timber to makes the bearers. Used to 140 x45 on either side and a 100 block in the middle. Then screwed both with a 12 gauge coach bolt. This too a long time. The whole project from start to finish took 6 weekends. I will post pictures of the poles, bearers etc. PS: as per building code I did not attach this deck to the house but buried poles along the house - spa deck is load bearing and if you attach to wall and things go wrong insurance will not cover you. CheersIMG_20201223_114538.jpgIMG_20201224_141339.jpgIMG_20201224_141423.jpgMounting plates.jpgIMG_20201222_161624.jpgIMG_20201222_164509.jpgCompleted deck - Copy.jpgIMG_20210114_202818.jpgIMG_20210114_104513.jpgIMG_20210328_170459.jpgIMG_20210130_215340.jpg

HI. Akansha

Thanks for the comments.

I installed LED downlights under the house eves which lights up the whole spa and entertainment area. The most difficult part was digging 16 holes 700 deep. Even with my hole borer it took three days to dig. I used 120x120 house piles for the poles. As per NZ building code i cut an L shape at the top of the pole to accomodate the 140 x 45 deck beam. Used the 140 x 45 timber to makes the bearers. Used to 140 x45 on either side and a 100 block in the middle. Then screwed both with a 12 gauge coach bolt. This too a long time. The whole project from start to finish took 6 weekends. I will post pictures of the poles, bearers etc. PS: as per building code I did not attach this deck to the house but buried poles along the house - spa deck is load bearing and if you attach to wall and things go wrong insurance will not cover you. I have uploaded pictures for Dave-1 - hope you can see it below.Cheers

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Oreoprojects 

Ahhh Makes more sense now :smile: It looks good. I dont attach my projects to the house either (Think our insurance rules are different in Aus but not sure) I think a project should be able to stand by itself is usally my way of thinking. 6 weeks... lol That is a lot faster then I put my deck up, I really wouldnt class that as slow! 

Every time I dig next to the hose for holes I end up running into the concrete foundation of the brick walls 😕 It looks like you were lucky :smile: It makes a difference dosnt it. How long since you put the spa in? 

Thank you for the pics :smile:

Dave

Hi. Dave 

Thanks for the comments. We have been enjoying the spa for 18 months. The whole deck cost me a quarter of the price NZ builders quoted me. 

Regards 

Oreo projects. 

sophiek77
Getting Established

@Oreoprojects 

Hi looks great.  Do you have instructions for the overhead patio cover? I'm interested to see what materials you used.  Thank you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects