Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang Specrite fence panel?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How to hang Specrite fence panel?

Hi

I'm trying to Build a structure to hang the fence panel below, thinking of setting up a few posts, run some horizontal timbre between the posts then use screws to hang the screen on top of it. This is all in front of my colourbond fence.  Is this the right way? Also I don't see enough space on the panel between the vertical lines to put through the screws. 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-1800-x-902mm-pre-oiled-merbau-alternating-slat-fence-panel_p850...

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I hang SpecRite fence panel

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

You're correct that the space between the slats is a little small to place your fixing screws through there. Is there enough space behind your frame to install the screws from the rear? If not, you could fix the horizontal timbers to the back of the panel first. You'd then position the panel between your posts and screw through the sides of the posts into the ends of your horizontal timbers. That way, there are no screws exposed from the front. If you were to fix from the front, you'd likely have to do so through the slats and then disguise the fixing holes with Merbau timber putty

Building a stand-alone structure to mount the panel is probably the best idea. However, we have had members fix directly onto the top and bottom rails of the Colorbond fence.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

What should be the distance between the posts?

Can I have 2 posts 1.8 metres (equal to the width of two panels) apart and have them connected with 3 horizontal timbre pieces to hang the panels on?

Thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AJ-DIYer 

The distance of 1.8m is actually one of the common distances used for fencing. I actually prefer the shorter distance of 1.8m as it limits the rails or horizontal timber pieces from bowing. The further apart the posts are the greater the likelihood of the rails bowing.

However, I always suggest putting your plan down on paper or your PC. Having a visual reference is always handier and eliminates guess work when you begin assembling your fence cover. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL 

What should be the size of the horizontal timbre pieces? Which type is best suited for this? 

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

I'd use these 75x38mm Pine Fence Rails.

They are specifically designed and treated for this purpose.

Cheers,

Jacob

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks, unfortunately the link is broken. Is it supposed to be another size like the following ?

70-x-45mm 

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @AJ-DIYer,

Hmmm, that's odd. It may be because I'm in QLD and the supplier is different in your part of the country.

If you go to the Bunnings website and type in "fence rail", it will give you a number of options that you can use.

Note that they all state they are "H3 Treated", this means they are treated for external above ground use.

Hope this helps,

Jacob

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JacobZ95. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend visiting your local store and having a look to see what's in stock for fencing rails. 

You can then organize it to be cut and delivered to your home. Please note that the cuts made are for transportation purposes only, it's best to do all your precision cuts at home. Please make sure not have any of the lengths undercut to your needs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects