Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get a timber benchtop square?

ezzie
Growing in Experience

How to get a timber benchtop square?

Holy mackerel guys, I've been at this for ages and it's got me stumped. I've also got a raging lurking which isn't helping. All measurements are equal, I've used a metal square to check corners of board and walls...so why is it still wonkatated? Its abutting onto another slab of pine. If I get it nice and neat on the left abutting the other benchtop, there's a big gap at the back left of slab. If I get it nice and neat against the wall on the right, I get a gap along the left abutting other benchtop. I just can't work out how to fix this so I can go back to bed with a Lemsip! 

1000014712.jpg

1000014713.jpg

1000014714.jpg

1000014716.jpg

1000014717.jpg

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: How to get a timber benchtop square?

Hey @ezzie,

Looks like there might be a stud out of line in the wall.

If you get something long and straight and place it on the wall, does it sit flat?

Or is there a spot that it can pivot off?

Jacob

ezzie
Growing in Experience

It's dead straight. 

Corners 90 degrees

Measurements all match

This is why I don't understand why it's not square

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ezzie 

I suggest finding a friend or neighbour that has an Empire 300mm Carpenters Square. This tool will tell you if the corner is square or not. It may appear that the corner is straight because it has equal measurements, but the angle of the walls might be off by a few millimetres. 

You can also use this tool on your benchtop, and it will show you as well if the corners are true. It's either that or there is a very slight bow in the wall causing the benchtop from sitting flat on the wall. 

Let me call on our experienced members @tom_builds, @theDIYedit and @RosieD for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RosieD
Having an Impact

Benchtops are always installed last because walls are never straight. You need to *scribe* the edges to match the adjoining surfaces to ensure it fits snuggly. Cabinetry and walls are rarely perfect at 90-degree angles.

If you install some sort of splashback (i.e tiles with a silicone bead at the bottom), then this will cover the back edge of the benchtop. You should also do a silicone bead along the side of the benchtops at the wall too.

Packers underneath the benchtop will get it exactly level too if it's not millimetre perfect.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects