Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can we install a vinyl sheet over a hardwood floor?

tom138
Having an Impact

Can we install a vinyl sheet over a hardwood floor?

Hi there,

So we have this hardwood floor that we really love and plan to restore one day but for now looking for a temporary solution to cover it in the kitchen to prevent further damage and make cleaning easier. This is what it looks like:

059BD6FA-91AD-42E3-A3CD-57C6981388B5.jpeg

I am thinking vinyl flooring, something easy to lay and something that doesn’t need to be glued on as I do not want to damage the wood. I am looking for something that will last for say two to three years.

Would something like this work: https://www.bunnings.com.au/senso-3m-rough-light-grey-essential-vinyl-sheet_p0228978

Is there any risk that the wood will get damaged underneath the vinyl and should I just bite the bullet and plan to sand and seal sooner?

Thanks, 

Tom

tom138
Having an Impact

Re: Can we install a vinyl sheet over a hardwood floor?

Thank you all for all the fantastic advise! Even projects that look daunting at first start to seem much more doable when one gets pointers, advise and also encouragement! It is probably going to be a while before I can attack this given all the other things that need doing but it’s great to have a clear high level plan now.

Thanks again and I will make sure to post pictures of progress… and no doubt more questions :laugh:

Tom

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can we install a vinyl sheet over a hardwood floor?

Hi @tom138 all good advice from @EricL @MitchellMc @Dave-1 ,

just another idea to add is too lightly sand and repair any damage to the floor, then just add a large polyurethane floor rug to cover a large area of the floor, it should last a couple of years until you decide on any future renovations. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects