Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to buy a replacement double door 2 hinge steel doorframe?

davidpaton
Just Starting Out

Where to buy a replacement double door 2 hinge steel doorframe?

shed door rust 1.jpg

shed door rust 2.jpg

shed door rust 3.jpg

shed door rust 4.jpg

Existing externally located steel fame is set in single brickwork and has corroded around the bottom hinges area.

Size - to fit existing double door outward opening solid doors as bought from Bunnings standard floor stock years ago.

Frame was originally supplied by bricklayer when doing the brickwork.  

Can supply photos and exact measurements if needed. 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Where to buy a replacement double door 2 hinge steel doorframe?

Hi @davidpaton,

Welcome along to Bunnings Workshop, it's great to have you here.

Could you please provide us with some photo's if possible, so that we can see what we are dealing with?

You say it has corroded?

Where exactly is this installed in your house?

If you could please offer up some pictures, I'm pretty sure we can help you out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi @davidpaton

Photos please as meantioned  by @MikeTNZ .

Also surface rust  is not always the of the world if say the hinges  welded on to a frame.  A wire  brush on a drill can clean this up in a flash. traet the metal  with rust converter spray the fresh clean  metal  with  galvansied paint  re lube hinge and your good for another 10 years or more.

If you prefer new hinges as  you buy the prespray them with Dy mark (has the heaviest Zinc concentratiion in the paint)  Metal pro Zinc Gal Bunnings  $15.96  as the new hinges  will rust too .  only the highest standard stainless steel  will last longest unprotected at a  price.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @davidpaton 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your double doors.

If you can provide photos of the doors, frame and hinges, it will give our members a chance to assess the condition of the door frame. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Let me try and answer some of your queries. It's possible to order custom sized doors if you need them. Simply measure the size of each door and bring the measurements to the special orders desk and they will be able to quote you how much the doors will cost. There are a wide choice of hinges available at the store, I recommend removing one of your old hinges and bringing it to the store for comparison.

In regards to the rusted frame, if it is very badly rusted your choices are to have it repaired by a welder or replace it with a standard timber frame. But if it is only surface rust then standard cleaning and restoration techniques might be enough to make it usable. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @davidpaton,

You'd be looking at the unassembled steel door frames for replacement. Current models feature three hinges, but that shouldn't affect the installation. 

There are various custom sizes available and sizes to suit all standard doors. Simply take the width and height of your current door with you, and you can place an order with your local store's Special Orders team.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects