Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I use timber or steel to build a support beam?

jasace1971
Just Starting Out

Should I use timber or steel to build a support beam?

Hi all,

converting a 6m x 6m shed to a music studio.

removed a-frame cross member to allow a higher peaked ceiling.

am lining the ceiling and walls with villa board, gyprock, over 90mm pine frame.

want to place a support beam of som kind up against the peaked ceiling with supports on either frame to make sure the removal of the a-frame cross member doesn’t see the peaked ceiling doesn’t droop and spread the walls.

what size and what material beam should I use? Almost 6m long.

ta.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Should I use timber or steel to build a support beam?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jasace1971. We're pleased to have you with us and look forward to seeing your music room take shape.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist as much as they can, although I suspect this might be a case where you need to engage a professional to ensure a safe and compliant structure. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I use timber or steel to build a support beam?

Hi @jasace1971,

I'd agree with @Jason that this sounds like a case of needing to engage the services of an engineer to provide solutions. Until you do, it would be advisable not to use the structure as you typically wouldn't remove a structural cross member before first installing the replacement structural component.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects