Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint a previously painted concrete floor?

lbreslin
Finding My Feet

How to paint a previously painted concrete floor?

Hi

I’m looking to paint and refresh this area. What would be the best way to paint it? Do I etch the bare concrete then prime the surfaces separately (painted and bare), using separate products?) or is there a simpler way. I was going ti use dulux. But it there a better product out there?

Cheers

IMG_9317.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to paint a previously painted concrete floor?

Hi @lbreslin,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're so pleased to have you join the community and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Can you please tell us whether this old paint is coming off? Obviously you'll want a nice stable surface to paint your new coat on, otherwise it will fail. Do you also know what it was previously painted with?

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist as soon as possible. In the meantime, it would be great if you could please provide a little more information so they can provide more specific and helpful advice. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason

The paint is quite good, though im not sure what was used as it was before my time.

Cheers,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lbreslin,

Concrete paints are designed to go over concrete or previously coated surfaces which are still in good condition. You've got a bit of a combination of both here. What sort of colour are you going with? If you were happy with a grey, you could go with either Rust-Oleum 3.78L Armour Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint or Rust-Oleum 3.78L Battleship Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint and the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete and Garage Recoat Primer

Alternatively, you could use a standard concrete paint and etch the concrete area.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Tthanks for your response. I will go with the standard, due to the colour selection.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects