Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycled CDs used as window curtain

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Recycled CDs used as window curtain

This project is the result of the first experiment I did to see if the discs help regulate heat and heat loss.

This is the first inference as I do have ideas for a blind made the same way to be able to be raised. (Later date to try)

I have a large pane of glass I was thinking of facing with timber cross pieces to make it look old school english. Pretty much along the lines of the way the square frames look on the door. But decided to leave it free of anything. 

Materials

CD/DVD's

Large cup hooks

19mm*8mm timber strip

Paperclips 50mm 200-300 of

Tools

Drill

Hands

Saw

Screwdriver

Steps

Step 1

I wanted to have silvered side of the discs front facing and also interior facing so I doubled the disks front to back. I was concerned about the weight of so many discs so I used for cuphooks to support two lots of timber strips. That way I could also dismantle it half at a time if needed. 

I only used paperclips to stitch the discs together and also to hang them from the detachable rail.

04 27-11-2022.jpg

While I was fitting out the room I had a sheet of white paper against the window. It really cooled the room and protected the insides from the sun. But didnt look the greatest.

05 27-11-2022.jpg

I really like the view so dont want something that just stays static.

06 27-11-2022.jpg

I unfolded a 50mm paper clip so its a big oval shape.

07 27-11-2022.jpg

I doubled the discs, that way I could have the silver facing out as well as facing in. I didnt have enough of the same colour to have only one side showing. 

11 27-11-2022.jpg

These are the paper clips I bought, went through 3-4 packets worth (Around $20.00)

Step 2

I stitched horizontally every 3rd row to stop the wave from happening with a breeze or door opening. The drawings are showing a possible future way of being able to raise the blind tho it may be over complicated. It would really look the part with the style of the room tho.

01 18-04-2022.jpg

Looking inside out and how it would look with a three segment array. I decided this was way to complicated and put it on the backburner to see if I liked the discs in the first place.

02 18-04-2022.jpg

The discs were going to be split into 3 segments and would look solid until raised by pullies. The top of the picture would be attached to the overhead beams.

03 18-04-2022.jpg

Showing how I was going to fasten eyelets to the ends of the timber strips.

08 27-11-2022.jpg

Completed tho static.

09 27-11-2022.jpg

It works well. Not quiet as good as the white paper but pretty effective. At night when I reverse up the driveway the colours shine like crazy. The discs do not jiggle when the door opens and closes. I think its because of the double thickness of the discs have some weight to them. I was going to have a tie wire across the bottom but never got around to it.

10 27-11-2022.jpg

I am happy with how it works. Definitely up for ideas on how I could raise it (I have considered rails to slide segments across but was after the whole window pane being able to be looked out of.)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage retrofit Privacy

Hello @Dave-1 

One thing that comes to mind is using angle brackets to hold the rail which is attached to the bracket itself. You could also try to use rope, but It would probably bow and sag due to the weight applied to it.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Garage retrofit Privacy

@EricL 

Yeah I was concerned with the bowing, Its one reason I went with 4 cuphooks (They dont show up too well in the photo) If I want to raise the screen then whatever I hang each segmant off needs to be rigid> I was thinking of using an aluminium U channel for that purpose. Will wait and see when I get back to that project :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects