Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to turn a shed into gym space?

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to turn a shed into gym space?

1760B565-6F8E-45CE-864E-F9D09C63FB6C.jpeg

C6D84BEB-08DE-4D55-AFED-264EA0368280.jpeg

116AEFF6-1B33-4A85-8B0B-F3E7F2AC5703.jpeg

44FB634C-2D0B-4481-9821-F7D4F0CF2399.jpeg

  

1619FDE8-2713-465E-AAA2-45EE92F0A038.jpeg

16F7E6B9-6D33-4C32-9EA2-0C41BE4009FE.jpeg

  

8589D96D-0003-480C-83C2-BA7CA10CC137.jpeg

Hi guys again

Out of my many other projects, this one is very dear to me. 
there is a plenty of undercoverspace outside the shed attached to the house. I have been using this area to store something that is not being useful in the time being.

I would like to turn this area into gym space and build gym area( fitting solar lighting and sound I can do that later).

however this area is not completely flat and there is a slope starting from the edge of the house to the colorbond fence ( indicated on the arrows and shaded blue and red areas).

Please suggest me how to flatten the area to some extent and what can I put on the floor to put gym equipment?

I was planning to put those rubbery matts what they use in the Gyms.

I highly appreciate your time and expertise on every question from me.

Regards 

Sugarman

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Turning Shed into Gym Space

Hi @Sugar,

Turning your undercoverspace into a gym sounds like a great project!

You might like to purchase a bulk delivery of aggregate. This can be spread across the whole area and used to level the ground. Compacting the aggregate is an important step to ensure a solid surface. You could put your gym mats directly on top of it, but it might be a better idea to lay pavers. Something like the Brighton Masonry 300 x 300 x 40mm Charcoal Mypave Paver would be one of the most budget-friendly options. If you didn't want to use pavers, then I'd suggest at least placing builder's plastic over the aggregate to prevent moisture from being absorbed by the mats.

As for the gym flooring, rubber mats are a great choice as they provide good traction, absorb shock and noise, and are easy to clean. You could also consider using interlocking foam tiles, which can provide additional cushioning and come in a variety of colors and designs. In case you didn't know, we stock gym mats, and you might also like to check out our amazing range of gym equipment.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Thank you for your reply. 

While spreading the aggregate and compacting it, how do you think we can manage a flat surface while there is a slope towards the bottom of the colorbond fence.? Do you think we have to plaster the surface, but this will be more time consuming and expensive but reliable at the same time. 

I have another option to take the excess from the highest part of the slope ( scrapping the elevated part of the land) and bring to the same level. 

There is already pebbles I believe I can put aggregate on top of the existing pebbles. 

I hope I explained to make you clear what I wanted to say. 

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You might like to install some sleepers along the bottom of the Colorbond fence @Sugar. They'll need to be securely anchored in the ground with posts. This will provide a rigid structure that the aggregate can be built up against to correct and level the surface.

It will likely be best to do as you suggested and adjust the slope as much as possible from high to low before adding the aggregate; if you can use the existing material, all the better. There are no issues putting the new aggregate over the existing pebbles.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc I will keep update on this to you. I like that idea of the sleeper which I was thinking also. I just  need to find out how to do the POSTS. This will make the structure rigid. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You would install the posts by digging a hole, inserting the post and then filling the hole up with concrete, @Sugar. A slightly easier option than the posts is to use sleeper stakes. You hammer these into the ground and attach them to the sleepers. They are not as rigid as using posts, though.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects