Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to insulate a shed?

Andrew295
Just Starting Out

How to insulate a shed?

Hi Community,

I have recently erected a 12m x 6m colorbond steel shed in my backyard. the purpose is to insulate, soundproof and fit it out to be a recording studio.

before I get into the whole soundproofing though i first need to line the shed to make basically a rumpus room. I am wanting any tips and tricks on the how to begin the project. my first thoughts are that firstly I need to seal all gaps around the shed first. I was thinking of using expanda foam to do this and cover up any gaps. My shed already has a whirlybird on top for ventilation of moisture and like a vermintrim kind of material at bottom so it would be a matter of plugging these smaller holes up around the walls and floor with the Expanda foam. then afterwards I would insulate with batts wrap and then chipboard panels.

Is this how I should go about beginning the project or am I missing vital information before starting?

I am brand new to DIY so any help would be appreciated and a guide onto how I should begin this project would be highly welcomed.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lining a shed first steps?

Hello @Andrew295 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about insulating your shed.

If you are turning your shed into a recording studio, it's important to insulate the shed properly to prevent sound from entering the studio. Generally, I would suggest building a timber frame from 70mmx35mm, this will serve as the insulation holder. Not only will it reduce the noise coming in, but it will also make the shed cooler.  

I also recommend thinking about your flooring, I propose using Hybrid Flooring as a possible cover for the concrete base that you have, especially if your putting acoustic carpet. 

In regards to your shed roof, I suggest having a look at these discussions:

I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas in the discussions on how to insulate the roof of your shed. My only other recommendation is to install a split aircon unit to keep the shed cool and to protect your equipment from overheating. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tips Eric, I am going to build a 'room in a room' so the wooden frame I was saving to add once the shed is lined, so once I've lined the shed I am then going to construct a wooden frame insulation flooring etc and of course aircon and ventilation. What I'm needing most of all now is how to start the shed lining process, what would be your advice for the first thing to do? Also what are your thoughts on the expanda foam? And would you suggest a second wooden frame as well for lining stage?

Thanks in advance EricL for your advice 🙂

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Andrew295 

There have been several discussions regarding sealing the bottom of the shed. Have a look at the list below:

Have a look and see if any of the suggestions in the discussions will work on your shed layout. In regards to the self-expanding foam, I'm afraid it's not adequate to seal the gaps on the floor. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the shed floor and the bottom sides of the shed? This will allow out members to assess your sheds condition. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Eric

I have decided to go with Selly's 650fc Sealant to seal the gaps where the corrugated iron meets the concrete. The gap is minimal probably less than 1cm so I am hoping this will cover it, for the roof I have heard of some substance or product called 'BUTYL' that might be appropriate but will look further into this. I am also wanting to use Sisalation wrapping around the entire inside of the shed for extra protection. I understand this may be a bit more challenging as the shed is already in place and would have been easier to install before panels went on. any tips how to approach Sisalation wrapping a shed that has already built steel wall panels? also any feedback on the choice to go for Selly's 650fc Sealant?

Hi @Andrew295,

We don't supply Selley's 650fc Sealant, but it appears to be very similar to our range of Sikaflex 11FC, which would be suitable for sealing the bottom of a shed. You might like to use it to glue an aluminium angle over the gap. This would likely work better than trying to fill the gap entirely with sealant.

You'll potentially have to sandwich the sisalation between your shed wall and timber frame unless there are shed frame members that you can attach the sisalation to. I'd suggest creating the timber frame laying down, fixing the sisalation off to its face and then positioning the frame on the wall. You can then use insulation tape to join the sections of sarking and wall frames.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects