Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Board game table with flat screen inset

DungeonDweller
Growing in Experience

Board game table with flat screen inset

WHERE DA GAMER'S AT?

received_284248415979010.jpeg

Hey everyone. Thought I'd post a pic of my ISO WIP. It's going to be a board game table. The flat screen insert is so I can use digital maps in conjunction with Dungeons and Dragons campaigns. Building with Bunnings stuff only. I'll try and keep the posts coming as the project moves forward. 

Cheers - The DD.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Board Game Table with Flat Screen Inset

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DungeonDweller. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to regular updates of this project and many others to come in the future. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand. We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day. 

Let me tag a few of the resident gamers in the community who I'm sure would be keen to see your handiwork: @Jackson, @Simon, @maknilsin, @tetris36, @Mick0s

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks for sharing and joining in the discussion,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DungeonDweller
Growing in Experience

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the shout out! I'll try my best to keep it the updates coming.

Cheers.

Queue my yearly log-in!  :laugh:

Looks interesting!  I'll keep an eye out for updates.

Reminds me of a biuld I saw on youtube a year or two back (but can't for the life of me find it again).

My nerd'ing out has been, ah, postponed... a few years now.  With young kids and impending reno's etc always getting in the way of fun (you know its bad when I can hardly even find time to brew beer!)

But one day i'll make an arcade cabinet again... one day...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

We'd love to have you drop by more often @Mick0s, many thanks for joining in the discussion. Hope you are staying safe and well. 

Looking forward to reading about your impending renovations. What do you have planned? Let us know if you need a hand with anything. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DungeonDweller
Growing in Experience

PART 2 - FITTING THE SCREEN & SUPPORT.

Hey internet world,

Progress is moving forward with the Gaming Table. I fitted the TV screen inside the table and began the supports for the top. I should of prefaced this blog with the fact that I am a novice wood worker at best. Please do not take my work as Gospel. Happy to hear criticism and pointers. Enjoy!

20200722_150413.jpg

So I measured out the space inside the frame the TV is going to sit. I cut out spaces from scrap I had in my spare's bin. I had to measure the depth of the TV etc to make sure it would sit flush. The spaces were roughly 200mm. These were fixed with wood workers glue and tap so they didn't sag. Once dried, I air nailed them in.

20200722_150432.jpg

I then cut some more scrap down to shape to act as the supports the TV would be laid on. I mocked this up prior to fitting as I wanted to make sure of the measurements and where the TV would be sitting so that the power and HDMI chord wouldn't be blocked by these supports.

20200722_151556.jpg

Somewhat level.

20200722_150231.jpg

Here is the TV unit in the table. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Sit's relativity flush and if you pressed your face up against it and looked it would show it being slightly a few mm out, but eh.

20200722_165445.jpg

I flipped the TV over and then worked on the supports for the top and for something for the TV frame to be connected to. Just cut the two supports down to 1200mm from a 1800mm piece from Bunnings. Connected it all with an air nailer and used countersunk screws to fix it all.

What have I learned so far?

I learned that having the right tools and knowing how to use them is crucial. Square rules, the right screws and even the air-nailer. These all really sped up and helped me in the process. A bit of patience and having fun with your project goes a  long way too. 

See you next time, Dwellers!

Cheers - DD.

DungeonDweller
Growing in Experience

PART 2 - FITTING THE TV AND TABLE TOP SUPPORTS.

Hello internet!

I should've prefaced the thread with the fact that I am a novice wood worker at best. Having only dived in to the wood working world a year or so ago. The following post highlights the small but strong progress I've made with the gaming table. Thanks for dropping by and enjoy.

20200722_150413.jpg

First off, I measured out the TV to figure out where I needed to place the spacers (pic above) so that the TV would sit flush. After doing that I cut out the spacers picked from wood from the scraps box. Woodworkers glue and tape held the spacers in place so that I could then use. the nail gun and fix them to the sides of the TV frame.

20200722_150432.jpg

Next, I delved back into the scraps box and cut some pieces to fit to act as slats for the TV to lay on. Again, wood workers glue until dry and then the nail gun to set the slats. 

20200722_151556.jpg

Somewhat level. Not bad for my first major project.

20200722_165445.jpg

Turning the table over now. Fixing the supports to the TV frame with the trustee nail gun to hold it in place. I fixed the frame to the TV frame with counter sunk wood screws. After this I flipped the table back and nailed the top to the frame.

20200722_150231.jpg

The final result. To be honest, I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

What have I learned so far?

Knowing the right tools and how to use them is important. I had to use the sander to make some areas of the hole for the TV frame to fit. What isn't pictured is sanding to the TV frame and the ends of the supports.

Catch you soon!

Cheers - DD

Simon
Having an Impact

Re: Board game table with flat screen inset

This is incredible @DungeonDweller @Jason 

Awesome work there @DungeonDweller. Well done.

Showed this to my eldest who plays D&D and they just love it!

Hey Dwellers!

Thank you for the kind words. The table is coming along very well. I will have an update coming to you all this weekend!

Stay tuned!

Cheers - DD

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects