Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace an external garage door?

nels
Growing in Experience

How to replace an external garage door?

The outside of the garage door has not weathered well and top edge of the door has peeled away from the door exposing the latices wood underneath. Are all doors the same size give or take a few mm? Are the doors sold by Bunnings already for mounting or do I need to prime, paint and treat the wood? What about the handle and lock, will I need to drill the holes?

Thank you.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: replacing an external garage door

Hi @nels,

Could you post a photo of the door so our members have a better idea of what you're working with? Is this the actual garage door where the car enters or a side door? It sounds like this might be a regular exterior door you are mentioning, and if that's the case, they are typically set sizes. You'll need to measure the height, width and thickness so I can find an equivalent match for you.

You'll need to prime and paint your new door to seal it from the elements. A top tip is you need to paint the top and bottom edge of the door as well; this is commonly missed, leading to damage, as you've seen.

Here are some helpful guides: How to hang a door and How to install a door handle. If you're not feeling particularly confident about the job or don't have the tools, you might like to consider utilising our quick and simple Door Installation Service.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nels
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

The door is the pedestrian access door to the back yard and measures 

"2035h x 820w x 35d" (mm). I've attached photos for clarity. Not urgent but looking to do this in the next couple of months.

1000057555.jpg

1000057556.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nels,

It sounds like this Hume 2040 x 820 x 35mm External Door Duracote Flush X1 would be the closest match. You'll note it is 5mm too tall, and it's not uncommon to trim the height of a door to suit, so you'll need to remove 5mm from the top or bottom of the door. We can have a custom-sized door constructed for you through our Special Order team and supplier if cutting the door is not possible.

Mitchell

nels
Growing in Experience

Revisiting this topic and I found that an internal door for a cupboard in one of the bedrooms fits just right. The door knobs can be switch over as the internal door doesn't lock and the 2 hinge points on the internal door match up with the top and bottom of the 3 hinge points on the garage door frame. Of course the internal door is not treated for external weather but the location of the garage door is slightly protected by some overhang from the garage. What do you think?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nels,

That could work; just ensure you give it a good coat of external paint on the faces and top and bottom edges. My only concern would be that internal doors are hollow-core and don't provide as much security as a solid-core external door.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects