Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install Foilboard on shed ceiling?

bazz235
Getting Established

How to install Foilboard on shed ceiling?

20231028_075904~2.jpg

I've read others tgreads about insulating a shed ceiling and it seems foilboard is a good beginner friendly way to go. I've just got a few questions before I give it a crack:

The red is the foilboard. I've read I just cut the foilboard to size, glue spacers to the ceiling and then glue the foilboard to the spacers. Is that correct? I like the idea of gluing as there's existing electrical, and even though I'll be careful, I'd like to idiot proof it as much as possible.

The blue areas in the channels. Do I cut some to size for those areas? Or do I 'frame' around it with foilboard, or do I just leave it?

It's a bit cropped, but the green area. There's a gap between the shed roof and walls (slight). Do I butt the foilboard up to that gap and then tape around it to completely seal it?

In regards to taping, I've read I need to tape to prevent moisture build up and rust. Do I tape every seam where the foilboard meet, and then every section between the foilboard and the shed/structure?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of before ordering and giving it a go? Also, seems like there is a bit of fat with Bunnings price on foilboard, do they price match other suppliers?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install Foilboard on shed ceiling?

Hello @bazz235 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding Foilboard. Let me try and answer your questions in sequence. 

• Yes, the installation method you've mentioned is pretty much how Foilboard is attached. 

• If heat is passing through those steel parts, I recommend covering them with Foilboard as well.

• If the gap between your shed roof and wall serves as ventilation, I don't recommend sealing or covering that area. Covering it might trap the hot air inside the shed.

• Yes, every seam and section must be taped up.

You've indicated on your diagram there are small sections in red that you'll be covering in Foilboard. I suggest checking if this a ventilation point as well. If it is, please don't cove r it. In regards to price matching, I suggest bringing an official quote from your source and bringing it to the trade counter for confirmation.

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to install garage/shed Foilboard Insulation? by @Pondy

For our New Zealand members, please note that the use of foil insulation products is prohibited.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects