Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a garage door opening?

Jeffersm963
Finding My Feet

How to create a garage door opening?

Hi,

I have been given the schematic in the photo by the garage door people I will be engaging as to what I need to do to create the opening for the garage door. It all seems pretty straightforward. The only question I have is what is the most secure way of joining the 150 mil jams to the 50mm lintel. Nuts and bolts? Metal plates and connectors?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

plan.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a garage door opening?

Hi @Jeffersm963,

It's good to have you share your D.I.Y garage door installation project with us.

Unfortunately, I can't provide any advice on this as a garage door opening is a structural element which will require engineering specifications on all elements including methods of fixing and the size and type of lintel. I suggest contacting the garage doors supplier as they should have a preferred method of installation. If they are unable to provide this, you should engage the services of a trained professional such as an engineer.

If this were one of our garage doors, I'd happily contact the supplier on your behalf.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Jacob 

Re: How to create a garage door opening?

Sounds like good advice. Many thanks. I will contact the garage people and a structural engineer. Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects