Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add an EV charger point in garage? which one to go

Samara1
Finding My Feet

How to add an EV charger point in garage? which one to go

Hi Team

I am in electrical Planning stage with my builder. Just brick work completed and yet to start the electrical work.

Planning to add EV charger point in Garage.

how to plan for EV charger point. what is required and how much cost in total.

note: I dont have electrical vehicle. just to future proof my home to support EV down the line.

which socket to select here

Any electrician kindly help me.

thanks.EV socket.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: EV charger point in Garaga

Hello @Samara1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about future proofing your home.

I suggest engaging the services of a registered electrician as they will be able to offer you a way to prepare for an EV car charger. A possible way to do it would be to have power access points pre-installed on each end of the garage but covered with a blanking plate. 

Before you decide on its position, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulation regarding EV charging points in your garage. A knowledgeable electrician will probably be able to advise you regarding what fuse box to prepare and the type of wiring they will use. 

Electric vehicle technology is advancing at a rapid pace, and it is difficult to predict what kind of configuration will prevail in the future.

Let me call on our experienced member @CSParnell for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: EV charger point in Garaga

@EricL Hey mate there are a whole lot of rules and regs around EV chargers and battery systems unfortunately I'm not across them as I don't play in this area. My advice get someone in that is in that field for the correct and safe advice.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects