Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose the right door?

jamor
Getting Established

How to choose the right door?

Hi there, I’m looking for some help choosing the right door as there are so many options it can get confusing and overwhelming!

I am converting an area in my garage to an office which includes building a partition wall with a door in it.  This door will seperate an area that is technically ’internal’ as it is not exposed to the weather however, it will be exposed to the extremes of heat and cold that garages typically get too. It is because of this that I think I will rule out the honeycomb core doors but I am also not keen on the expensive solid timber core doors so I believe I’m left with the hybrid ‘solicore’ doors that are chipboard internally.

I am after a 770 wide 2040 high door but I don’t understand the different finishes on the available doors and I would also like to buy the whole setup, pre hung including the jambs so I can install straight into my stud wall opening however I can’t seem to find the right information online to see if that’s possible to purchase?

do I need to buy these all separately and put them together and hang the door myself or is there a package solution for the above door that comes pre put-together with the jambs? 

justin

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to choose the right door?

Thanks for your question @jamor.

Can I request you to please provide photos of the area in your garage where you're planning on installing the door? This will help our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL and other members get a better idea of what you're dealing with and enable them to provide more specific advice. Also tagging @Seaton@Remarka6le and @DIYgals for their thoughts. 

Did you know Bunnings also offers a door installation service? They can arrange for an installer to come to you if needed.

You might also like to check out Old garage transformed into office mancave by @christinamack88 as well as the Bunnings guide Six key factors to consider when choosing a door in case that helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jamor
Getting Established

Thanks @Akanksha ! At the moment it’s just an empty space in our garage with no framing up yet for the partition. The partition will just go across the width of the garage separating the new office from the rest of the garage and will be made of standard 90x45 studs in a 600mm spacing set up as the wall is not load bearing. Thank you for the links as well. I’m really just keen to know if I can purchase the door as a a pre hung including jambs etc! 

justin

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jamor 

Thanks for sharing your question about what door to choose for your office. The quick answer is yes, the internal door is available as a solicore. You can also order it prehung and ready to go.  

I suggest going to your local store and speaking to the team at the special orders desk. Tell them the type of door you are after, its size and that you want it prehung. They will then look into the computer and find out if the size you requested is available. If not, it will need to be ordered in as a custom door. You can ask for a quote for the door so that you'll see the breakdown of the parts.

Here is a link to HUME doors where you can download their door guide: Hume Doors

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects