Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Built-in garage workshop storage with bi-fold doors

emmakeshome
Having an Impact

Built-in garage workshop storage with bi-fold doors

I needed somewhere to store and organise my growing collection of DIY tools and supplies. The Flexi Storage Home Solutions are the perfect answer but I needed to protect everything from the copious amounts of saw dust that I create. So I custom built these cupboards to enclose the Home Solutions and I added Bi-fold doors so that everything is easy to access when working on my latest project. I finished it off with 4 coats of Dulux Deep Aqua and brass handles for a fun pop!

Steps

Step 1

Build boxes out of 19mm plywood using the Kreg Pocket Hole jig. You can get the plywood cut to size at Bunnings.

IMG_6858.jpg

Step 2

Build base frame for the boxes to sit on and secure into the studs.

IMG_6857.jpg

Step 3

Secure boxes to base frame and studs in the wall.

IMG_6856.jpg

Step 4

Trim out the boxes with the primed pine using wood glue and a braid nailer (or hammer and nails if you do not have one).

IMG_6263.jpg

Step 5

Build the frames for the doors out of the 64mm DAR Pine and the Kreg Pocket Hole jig.

IMG_6855.jpg

Step 6

Router the inside of the door frames using a rebate bit. Then glue and nail the 7mm ply to the inside of the door frames.

IMG_6854.jpg

Step 7

Drill out the holes for the hinges using the Kreg Hinge Jig and then attach the hinges to the doors and then to the cupboards. If you are doing bi-fold doors you can attach the piano hinges now or after painting.

IMG_6853.jpg

Step 8

Sand, prime and paint everything. I used a dark colour so it required a lot of coats!

IMG_6500-2.jpg

Step 9

Attach the Home Solutions to the insides of the cabinet boxes and load all of your chosen accessories. This was the easiest part!

IMG_6852.jpgIMG_6585.jpg

Step 10

Drill holes for each of the handles (I made a little template out of scrap ply so that they were all in the same spot), then screw in your handles.

IMG_6620.jpg

Re: Built-in garage workshop storage with bi-fold doors

Awww Rosie! You are always so kind and supportive! I know you could totally do this project now!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects