Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace cracked floor tiles? Does the adhesive need to be FULLY removed?

Torquay
Getting Established

How to replace cracked floor tiles? Does the adhesive need to be FULLY removed?

Hi all, I’m replacing a few cracked tiles and noticed in some that the tile comes away easily ( no back adhesive) but the adhesive on the floor ( concrete ) is well and truly adhered. As I chip away at the adhesive, or use a blade on a multi tool, it really is part of the floor. My question is… If there is enough space for new tile adhesive across the full tile, do I need to try to chisel the old adhesive off. I was going to remove all loose adhesive, scrape what I can off, I’ve then cut in  some cross marks for more adhesion, then paint with primer and simply re- glue a tile over the top? 
id welcome any experienced thoughts? It is well and truly bonded to the concrete, so will a primed surface and tile glue be sufficient- ensuring there is full coverage of new glue?

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace cracked floor tiles? Does the adhesive need to be FULLY removed?

Hi @Torquay 

Please don't forget to post an update once your repairs are complete. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the outcome.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects