Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair damage to bathtub?

justdoit-1
Just Starting Out

How to repair damage to bathtub?

Went to run a bath today and discovered some damage in the bottom and what looks like a small hole. 

20240208_120207.jpg

20240208_120213.jpg

20240208_124040.jpg

  

The bath has these raised dimples (I assume for non slip) and it looks like one of them has been pushed inward. I think I can use epoxy to fill the hole, but I'm worried about water that might have gone through and be pooling underneath the bath. The bath is tiled in, so I'm not sure how to check, or if this is a real concern or if there's some kind of drainage under the bath. I empty the baby bath in here daily and I'm not sure when this damage occurred.

Any suggestions? Are the only options to either ignore the possibility of water under the bath or to rip out a tile or two?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathtub repair

Hello @justdoit-1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bathtub.

It appears that part of your bathtub floor has caved in. I suggest using Selleys 50g Knead It Aqua Epoxy Putty to cover the hole in your tub. Please note that this is a temporary repair solution. I highly recommend replacing the tub otherwise the damage will get bigger.

Please make sure that the area around the hole is clean and dry before applying the epoxy solution. My best advice is to mix only what you need to cover the general area. Mix the epoxy very well in your fingers to get a good mix and feather the edges so that it blends in with the contours of the tub. It's critically important to give it enough time to fully cure before using the tub.

In regards to the water going under the bath, if you have a concrete base under your house there should be no issue with a little leak occurring. But it's good that you spotted the damage. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric, I appreciate your time and expertise. Yes, concrete base so that was the answer I was looking for (phew). The bath is no older than 6 years, so I'm annoyed it needs replacing already, but if needs must. I'll get the epoxy and do that repair asap though, as baby refused a shower tonight and suffered through a sponge bath instead!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @justdoit-1 

Better a sponge bath than no bath at all. Fingers crossed it will be enough to relax the baby to sleep.

If you need assistance with anything else, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects