Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace cracked floor tiles? Does the adhesive need to be FULLY removed?

Torquay
Getting Established

How to replace cracked floor tiles? Does the adhesive need to be FULLY removed?

Hi all, I’m replacing a few cracked tiles and noticed in some that the tile comes away easily ( no back adhesive) but the adhesive on the floor ( concrete ) is well and truly adhered. As I chip away at the adhesive, or use a blade on a multi tool, it really is part of the floor. My question is… If there is enough space for new tile adhesive across the full tile, do I need to try to chisel the old adhesive off. I was going to remove all loose adhesive, scrape what I can off, I’ve then cut in  some cross marks for more adhesion, then paint with primer and simply re- glue a tile over the top? 
id welcome any experienced thoughts? It is well and truly bonded to the concrete, so will a primed surface and tile glue be sufficient- ensuring there is full coverage of new glue?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to replace cracked floor tiles? Does the adhesive need to be FULLY removed?

Hi 

@Torquay 

The  problem with leaving old glue is you may end up with an uneven level once you reglue is the risk there.

I use a  stripping  disk on an angle grinder it will remove  glue in seconds and concrete and pretty much any thing in its  path, 

Flexovit 100mm Multi Purpose Flexi Strip Stripping Disc

https://www.bunnings.com.au/flexovit-100mm-multi-purpose-flexi-strip-stripping-disc_p6310279

I/N: 6310279

$20.74

That tile  area is small  so  buy a small striping  disk to better get into edges and corners,  (still have to manually remove some glue with some sort of chisel)

Another  good tool to use is a  rotating hammer drill  but turn rotation off and use it as a chisel tool with a  chisel  bit. It will   get into  corners more easy.  The  ozito   brand comes  with a chisel  bits to get  you  sorted and a very usefull tool for some heavy  work  later on.

Ozito 1500W 5J Rotary Hammer Drill Kit RHD-1550

$99.98

Re: How to replace cracked floor tiles? Does the adhesive need to be FULLY removed?

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue .I hadn’t considered a stripping disc. I might go old school with a masonry chisel and see what I can chip away. The drill you mention would be the perfect choice, but the project ( kitchen and bathroom Reno) is getting a bit $$$) so it will be more elbow grease I guess. Sincere thanks.    https://www.bunnings.com.au/kango-100mm-masonry-chisel_p0472212?store=6388&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAA...

Your welcome @Torquay 

I totally  get budget issues and I am all for saving money.  So if you have a  cold metal chisel or a brickies chisel or an old wood chisel  or even a  square edged bit of metal  or a  large flat bladed  driver.

Another trick  to  save money is to use a quarter  brick or with a square  edge to grind that  mess down.  As  your  cross hatched  it all it should be easier to do  working  with your  ideas too. :smile:

Great idea re spare steel. I have some spare 3mm x 100mm I might try before picking up the chisel. Im using a narrow cold chisel and multi tool at the moment. The multi tool and scraper is doing very little and the cold chisel is making a lot of mess for little progress…

ironic how the glue made a great bond to the cement but not the tile. Perhaps evidence the tiler didn’t lay up the adhesive also onto the tile?

Hi @Torquay 

I suspect the glue is  fresher when place on concrete and if it is left to stand to long it will begin to dry  out or  surface skin before the tile makes the same  contact as the cement.

Buttering the tile may help  I also  like spritzing  some tiles as the glue is  water soluable and a little water seams to help.

You  cross  hatched the glue with an angle grinder?  why  dont you  use that on a  chisile like angle and  try save some elbow  grease?

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue , I think the angle grinder would have caused too much dust. I used the multi tool to create the cross hatch, however I went all in and used a wood chisel and ended up removing all the hard adhesive. What a shocking and time consuming job… it’s no wonder tilers didn’t respond to the offer of a paid job replacing them, ha,ha.

Hi @Torquay 

Great  work on getting that glue  up and saving money too :smile:

Tilers hate small jobs lol  as there are multiple steps  for  small pay outs,  Room for you to become a  part time small tiler lol get work from tile outlets,

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Torquay 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing tile adhesive.

It's great that you've received good advice from @Jewelleryrescue. It's fantastic to hear that you've managed to remove the adhesive from the floor. My best advice is to use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the dust and debris in the space before you apply new adhesive for the repair tile.

I recommend using Davco 5kg Ceramacrete Cement Base Tile Adhesive and Dunlop 800g Ready-To-Go Coloured Grout. Please make sure that the tile adhesive has fully cured before you apply the grout. Applying the grout too early will cause moisture to be trapped under tile and will make it pop off. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Torquay
Getting Established

Thank you @EricL , I’m all sorted with my supplies from Bunnings Torquay, and Waurn Ponds.. I’m off this morning to hire the tile cutter (Bunnings) and yes I’ve made the mistake of trying to grout to early in the past so will be patient this time. Thanks for your advice and the helpful Bunnings videos!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects