Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove light bulb?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to remove light bulb?

I have to replace to lightbulbs from our bathroom ceiling, but I cant seem to remove them.   How can it be done?

bathroom lightbulb.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Removing light bulb

Afternoon @ennoh 

I don't own any but have removed them in the past with just fingers, however, yours looks displaced in its mounting? I always thought there was a pronged device, much like a gear puller with wire arms that grabbed the edges - but I could be deluded.

Googling gives me a sort of suction cup device...

Clipboard01.jpg

I looked on Bunnings - but no luck with searches or Live Chat.

Bunnings.jpg

ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Noyade, I'm sure that you aren't deluded.     The suction thing wont work as when I push the glass top the glass descends - it doesn't seem fixed to the globe.  I think I am supposed to remove the outer metal ring but there's some sort of spring mechanism keeping it tight in the ceiling hole, and I'm not game to remove it for fear of breaking something.   I think I will have to call an electrician and then watch what he does so I can attend to the problem when other globes fail.

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ennoh @if you live in Victoria,  I think the government is offering light replacement with led lights, here is the link.Not sure if other states have this offer

https://www.energy.vic.gov.au/for-households/victorian-energy-upgrades-for-households/lighting

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Just checked the website @ennoh , this offer is no longer available in Victoria, not sure about other states.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ennoh,

The large outer ring is part of the light fixing and stays in place. You need to remove the smaller chrome ring directly outside the glass of the globe. It's a 1/8th turn to the left. It can be quite tricky to undo as there's not really much to get purchase on. The retaining ring is what holds the globe in the gimbal mount. Typically they come with little prongs on the front that allow you to place your fingers on for grip. This ring can become fused in place, and I've encountered dozens over the years that simply can not be removed. If you can't get it undone, having an electrician replace the whole fittings would be an option.

Once the retaining ring is removed, you can pull out the 12v globe or push and turn it anti-clockwise if it's a 240v globe.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects