Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refresh dated bathroom?

projectkarara
Finding My Feet

How to refresh dated bathroom?

Hi everyone! I am hoping to renovate my bathroom as it is quite dated and old. I don't actually mind the wall tiles, except for the top row (pictured). I read about tile paint and thought maybe to paint the top row a shade of pink (I'm planning to go with a green & pink eclectic style for the interior). Otherwise would it be possible to remove only the top row of tiles and replace them with another wall tile I like?

1000005468.jpg

I'm also planning to buy some wallpaper for the wall above the tiles, and replace the square bathroom mirror for a new one.

1000005503.jpg

I'd like to replace the shower screen as well. Is it possible for a novice renovator to replace the shower screen for a single screen (only on the left side, no door on the right)? or would I have to get someone more experienced to do this sort of job for me?

1000005467.jpg

 so I'd like to replace the left screen for a slightly bigger one, but completely remove the door on the right. essential having an open shower. I don't mind water going everywhere!

1000005465.jpg

as you can see it's quite dirty/grubby. has been since we bought the place. I also just don't like having the shower door.

1000005464.jpg

thanks in advance for any help! 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to refresh dated bathroom?

Hi @projectkarara,

Removing the top row of tiles and replacing or painting them if desired is entirely possible. Just be aware that through the process of removing tiles, there is always the chance that you can damage the sheeting behind them, which will require replacing and a more extensive project.

The shower screen installation would be considered a reasonably difficult job for a novice renovator. It is possible but will require drilling into the tiles and suitable fitment. If you can complete most of the other work, you might want to leave this to the professionals. Removing the old screen and installing the new screen have the risk of shattering the relatively fragile glass, so I'd recommend enlisting the services of someone to do it for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects