Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove laundry benchtop?

kinkleung
Just Starting Out

How to remove laundry benchtop?

Hi there,

I have problem removing the existing benchtop. I tried very hard to lift the benchtop up but failed to even make a tiny movement. Please advise what I can do to remove the top without damaging the top and/or the wall tiles. Thank you.

Regards,

Kin Leung

Snip20240304_30.pngSnip20240304_31.png

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to remove laundry benchtop?

Afternoon @kinkleung 

Sometimes screws can be hidden within the timber, The screws through to the wall have been removed? And the screws through to the underside of the benchtop have been removed?

It may be silastic/caulking that is holding on for dear life. You can run a stanely knife along the top edge between the tile and the bench itself. Maybe the installer may have even put glue behind the timber trip on the underside? 

Last bit of advice is sometimes more pressure then expected is needed. Id do the knife cut, check again for screws then "wiggle the benchtop rgripping from the front edge right then left and then right again. Looking at the top photo I suspect there could be a biscuit join in the vertical stand as there is no timber fixing bar to secure it to the benchtop. It may be an idea to move the washing machine out and check for screws as well as give you "wiggle" space

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kinkleung 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your laundry benchtop.

I agree with @Dave-1's assessment, it's likely that the benchtop has been anchored with silastic. The only way to remove is to use a Stanley FatMax 18mm Snap Off Knife With Rubber Grip and cut as deep as possible into the silastic to loosen up the benchtop.

Please take care not to exert too much force as it might crack the tiles if stressed too hard. Another method to cut the silastic is by using fishing line and running it in the gaps.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @kinkleung ,I am in agreement with both @Dave-1  and @EricL .  You can see the white sealant at the  join to the walls on the top  view. This is 

needed to stop water seeping down and destroying the top, but it also offers a remarkable amount of holding power. You'll need to cut through that at least.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects