Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install shower head?

ennoh
Building a Reputation

How to install shower head?

I am having trouble installing a new shower head.  I have replaced a few of these in the past and it always takes a few attempts but half a dozen tries today and I still haven't sorted it.     Every time I turn the shower head until its really firm - its too far to the right.   In the attached pic, the arm of the shower head should be positioned about 90 degrees to the left.   Is there a knack to getting it right?

shower head.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to install shower head?

Sorry to hear about your troubles with installing that shower head, @ennoh. I'm sure our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to assist you when he's back on the site later today.

Let me also tag our ever-helpful members in @Dave-1@RSS@Noyade and @CSParnell to see if they have any thoughts.

In case you haven't already, I also recommend looking at Eric's step-by-step guide How to change a shower head while waiting. 

Hope this helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @ennoh 

Ive replaced a couple of showerheads over the years, I remember my nerves at doing the new one up and "how far should I turn it?" I used aome plumbers tape and then wound it on. How much pressure have you put on the new showerhead to get it that last 90deg? The socket it is going into should be rock solid so you can put some pressure on it. 

I am sure you ahve checked out youtube :smile: but here is a video just in case How to install a showerhead 

The videos I have watched all seem to say "tighten by hand as much as possible" then use a spanner/shifter tighten it until its solid. 

The shower heads I remember doing all folowed this type of deal. (I think as it was awhile ago I replaced my last one)

Dave

ennoh
Building a Reputation

Thanks Dave!   Problem sorted.  I watched that video and found that the problem with what I had been doing was not using enough plumbers tape.  I had been putting on about 3 layers when I should have been putting on 8 or so.  This made all the difference and I properly installed it on the first attempt.  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @ennoh 

Woooohooo :smile: Things we take for granted that turn out to be important. I saw that same section and thought "wow thats a few turns" and still did not mention it to you :surprised: Glad you watche dthe video :smile: and now I know for sure also!

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ennoh 

It's good to see that you've sorted out the positioning of your shower head. My only other suggestion is to keep an eye on it for the next few days to make sure that it's not leaking. If you do get a bit of a leak a few more rolls of plumber's tape should fix that right up.

Thanks for sharing your shower head repair project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects