Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a shower tap?

goks0
Just Starting Out

How to remove a shower tap?

Hi,

In my shower, the spring loaded flange for the cold water shower tap is loose and keeps spinning.  To fix this , I am thinking there is something wrong with the spring.

In am trying to remove the tap and see what the problem  is but I am unable to dismantle the tap.

I have tried using the spanner to open from the front ( is that correct ? ) but it slipping and seems to be damaging the tap.

I don't know what I am doing wrong here.

- How  do I open this shower tap ?

- what is the likely cause of the loose flange ?

Any help much appreciated

G

PXL_20231008_053103798.jpgPXL_20231008_053055124.jpgPXL_20231008_053046726.jpg.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a loose spring loaded flange for shower tap

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @goks0. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about dismantling a tap.

Check out this helpful guide: How to replace a tap washer. In step two, under the T-handle section, you'll see in the third image that the button needs to be removed with an adjustable spanner. This is the first step in dismantling your tap. Once the button is removed, the tap handle should pull straight off.

If the spanner is slipping off, the button is likely stuck. Try spraying some WD-40 over the button and letting it sit for a few hours. Try again with the adjustable spanner and ensure it is set on the tightest position whilst still fitting on the nut.

The spring has probably got caught up or is damaged. Is the cover flange loose, and can it easily be positioned back to the wall by hand? If so, you could run a bead of wet-area silicone around the inside of it and stick it to the wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to fix a loose spring loaded flange for shower tap

Thanks for the quick response, @MitchellMc.  Will try your suggestions out.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects