Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix grout between ceramic floor tiles?

RCD1
Just Starting Out

How to fix grout between ceramic floor tiles?

IMG_5841.jpegHello

There are certain sections in the bathroom floor where the grout is broken or has come out. What is the best way to fix and refill this?

I’m also going to clean the whole surface with sugar soap and a grout whitening solution before I fix the grout. 

Thank you in advance for all your help with this! 

IMG_5924.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix grout between ceramic floor tiles?

Hi @RCD1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. 

Your grout has failed and unfortunately will all need to come out. This is going to be a fair amount of work but Bunnings has a helpful guide How to remove grout with a video so you can see what is involved. You can also get advice from a similar discussion here on Bunnings Workshop such as How to repair floor tile grouting?

I note some of your tiles are also cracked. Would you consider replacing the tiles?

Please have a look at the resources shared and let us know if you have any follow-up questions. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix grout between ceramic floor tiles?

Hi @RCD1,

Given the age of the tiles, it looks like you'd likely want a quick fix for the grout issue. I'd recommend you use a grout saw to remove those two sections remaining in the gap and any other loose sections. Once removed, I'd fill the gap with new grout following this guide: How to grout tiles.

Once you've cleaned the tiles and grout, use this grout paint on all the older grout; it will come up like new. I use this grout paint every few years, as you just can't get some staining out. It looks fantastic once done.

Just so you are aware, your grout is likely at an age where a more complete restoration is needed. This will require all the grout to be cut out and replaced. If you were considering doing so, it would be worth thinking about re-tiling the area.

Let us know how you go or if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects