Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why doesn't my screen door lock cylinder turn?

joedickinson
Just Starting Out

Why doesn't my screen door lock cylinder turn?

Hey!! 

I’ve just replaced a hinged screen door cylinder in my house that there was no key for. Compared the old cylinder with new one and they appear identical. 
however, the key won’t turn to lock the door with the key and I can’t work out why. The lock doesn’t seem seized when I have the cylinder out and push it up and down with screwdriver. 

any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: new screen door cylinder not turning

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @joedickinson. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about screen door locks.

Could you please post an image of the lock so our helpful members have a better idea of what you're working with? Let me know if you need a hand uploading an image.

With the door open, does the key work?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey. Will post a pic of the door soon. Key doesn’t turn even with the door open. 

Hi @joedickinson,

Please let me know if you need a hand uploading those images so we can assist.

Jason

Baggs
Having an Impact

Re: Why doesn't my screen door lock cylinder turn?

Hi,

Some screen/security door locks need to be triggered before installing the barrel.

With the latch out you should be able to use a small screw driver to push up a mechanism that you access there the opening where the barrel goes.

It can be a bit of a pain if you havent done much with locks before.

20240116_112257.jpg

Ready to fit barrelReady to fit barrel

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Kyle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why doesn't my screen door lock cylinder turn?

Hello @Baggs 

Let me tag @joedickinson to make them aware of your suggestion. That's an excellent point to bring up. Some locking units have a preferred configuration when sliding in the locking barrel. It's definitely worth giving it a try and might solve the locking issue.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects