Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair rotting window frames?

JenD
Getting Established

How to repair rotting window frames?

I have two window frames which appear to be rotting (?) at the bottom of each.  Do I only need to replace those sections and if so, is it difficult?

413297580_340927355500063_459244025109638580_n.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Window frame

Hi  @JenD

If you tap the wood is it solid or  very mushy?  if  solid great.  if  not replace need to dismantle window frame to take base off not real easy.

Your timber looks fine just needs paint scrape back and  repaint.  that white looking  strip is the orininal window putty and timber strip simple to smear outdoor no more gaps on the timber surface to make it look flat and then repaint. Cute  birds.

Thanks again!!! I will tap the wood as suggested and take it from there.  Hopefully not a replacement job!!!  Oh & thanks for the bird complement - now to keep the cockies away hey!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JenD 

That's excellent advice coming from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, if the timber piece is only marginally rotten it is possible to rebuild it with Earl's 250ml Wood Hardener in combination with Builders Bog.

However, if more than 1/4 of the timber has deteriorated then its best to replace it with a new piece.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JenD,

I'm not sure if you've completed your project yet, but I thought I would drop a message in regards to working near glass. It's imperative that you take all precautions to avoid the risk of damaging the glass and having it shatter. If you tap the timber with a hammer to check its integrity, I'd certainly use a timber board to protect the glass, as one inadvertent tap could cause it to shatter.

Also, please wear adequate PPE when working around the glass, including cut-resistant gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers, enclosed footwear and safety glasses.  

If in doubt, please consider enlisting the services of a professional to perform the repair.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects