Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why does aluminium sliding door have a section that sticks out?

Scootergirl
Getting Established

Why does aluminium sliding door have a section that sticks out?

My late 80s townhouse has sliding glass aluminium doors and they all have this annoying bit that protrudes about 3.5 cm from the rest of the door; and sticks out about 1cm further than the architraves. I can’t see any use for it - does anyone know what it is and why it’s there? 
It’s annoying because I’d like to instal roller blinds but they’d have to sit out from the architrave to clear this.

Probably a silly question but would there be any way to remove it? 

37384A84-D557-4F64-971F-98F92005AF6A.jpeg

54A2C4DB-B9EE-47B9-B1AD-73EA1B743CF4.jpeg

474AA021-30B9-4A25-A3F5-7A7A387D8B38.jpeg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Why does aluminium sliding door have a section that sticks out?

Scootergirl

Ive never seen a sliding glass door without it or an equivalent tube. I would avoid removing it as it adds structural strength to the door and stops it from flexing in the middle. Which in turn stops the glass flexing and breaking. You could always attach a pelmet to the top of the facia above the door and hang your blind from inside it, this gives better insulation as the pelmet stops the movement of air. 

James

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why does aluminium sliding door have this bit?

Hello @Scootergirl 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your aluminium sliding door.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @JDE. I totally agree with the recommendation and that is to leave the door as is and not cut that extra piece sticking out. It sounds like it provides structural support and keeps the frame of the door rigid. Cutting it off might also compromise the glass panels installation causing it crack and break which is very dangerous.   

I suggest engaging the services of a professional aluminium fabricator in your area to modify your door safely. Once your door has been modified you can then plan on installing your roller blind. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects