Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain and fit an entrance door?

StaceyM
Just Starting Out

How to stain and fit an entrance door?

Hi, just wanting some help with staining our new front door (Hume SPM Savoy frosted glass XS11). It is brand new so doesn't have any previous paint/stain. Is it best/easiest to use a roller. I've attached screenshots of the rollers, brush, door and handle I've purchased. 

When we built our house the builders put the door handle really low (my one year old can open it) so we also want to make the new handle higher. Do I just use spakfilla to fill the old one? What is the best way to get a clean accurate new hole for the lock?

I'm in SEQ so should I hold off with the staining until all this rains stops? 

1000003965.png

1000003951.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stain and fit an entrance door?

Hello @StaceyM 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your entrance door.

In regards to the handle, if the screw holes are not so big, I suggest using Earl's 140g Cypress MulTfill Ready To Use Filler. It's an exterior rated filler and comes in several colours to match timber. If you are planning to paint or stain the door, I suggest filling in the holes with a filler that is close to the colour of the timber door. Your objective is to just cover the hole and not spread the filler around too much.

Personally, I prefer using a brush as it pushes the paint or stain into the timber surface of the door. Rollers are great for sealers and paint as it does away with brush strokes. The materials you've chosen are good, using the cheapest brush or roller will often give you a less than stellar finish. Whereas a quality brush or roller will often give a uniform finish and brush streaks are minimal.   

The common height for a door lock location is around 860mm. Mind you this is not a fixed rule, and you can have it higher or lower than this. To get a clean accurate hole for the door lock, I propose using the Ryobi Wood & Metal Door Lock Kit. It comes with all the necessary cutting tools that you'll need to install your new door lock.

I would definitely hold off on staining until you get some sunny weather.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects