Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I use packing patching mortar or self levelling compound to fill concrete slab low spots?

kitkattimtam
Just Starting Out

Should I use packing patching mortar or self levelling compound to fill concrete slab low spots?

Hi Bunnings,

I am preparing my old concrete slab for tiling. Just wonder if I could patch low spots (3-5mm) with self levelling compound or should I stick with packing patching mortar?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I use packing patching mortar or self levelling compound to fill concrete slab low spots?

Hi @kitkattimtam,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you join us.

You can certainly use a self-levelling compound for this project as this is the exact purpose they are designed for. I would use a self-levelling compound such as Lanko 20kg 173 Floor Leveller in conjunction with Lanko 1L Ultraprime 124 Surface Primer. Make sure to follow the instructions given by the manufacturer to ensure the best results.

I'll refer you back to a previous post from my colleague @MitchellMc for a little extra guidance. How do you level a floor? | Bunnings Workshop community

Please make sure to always wear the appropriate PPE (eye protection, gloves and mask/respirator) as any cementitious product can be detrimental to your health.

Let us know how you go and please reach out if you need any additional help,

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects