Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain and varnish Meranti timber doors and panels?

DeidraYoung
Just Starting Out

How to stain and varnish Meranti timber doors and panels?

I have a question about how to select a stain for both exterior and interior doors which are Meranti.  I wanted the finished colour to be Rose Mahogany, but does this colour have to be made at the paint desk?  There does not appear to be any on the shelf.  For interior doors, I'm planning to use Cabot's Interior Stain Oil Based and a clear OB varnish.  For the exterior door and panels, I'm planning to use Cabot's Deck and Exterior Stain OB.  Do both of these products get mixed for you at the paint desk and should I start with a sample pot?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to stain and varnish Meranti timber doors and panels?

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @DeidraYoung. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. Our members are sharing helpful advice and project inspiration on the site every day.

Let me tag some of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts @MitchellMc@JacobZ and @EricL to assist you as soon as possible. Apologies for the delay, it's been a busy week on the site with so many members taking advantage of the Easter break to get stuck into new projects.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to staining and varnish Meranti timber doors and panels?

I am so sorry for the delay in my reply, @DeidraYoung.

Unfortunately, the colour Rose Mahogany is only available in Cabot's exterior varnish and stain and not in the Cabot's interior stain or deck and exterior stain. If you check out the Cabot's site under colours, you can select their products and see what colours are available in them. Select Pine as your timber to see the full range of colours available to be tinted at the Paint Desk.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects