Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Rewiring the light circuit and installing dimmers with 9w 90cm led downlights with selector switch

MrCraigO
Finding My Feet

Rewiring the light circuit and installing dimmers with 9w 90cm led downlights with selector switch

removing old oyster fittings repairing plaster where heat from oyster lamps deterrates the plaster above becoming crumble and usually have timber batterns close by to fix fitting i like to put downlight directly where they are required eg above dinning table in front of pantry above kitchen sink separate switch i like to call task light then no shadows nothing worse than those 3 post lights in kitchen creating shadows everywhere makes no sense your fridge has light rangehood above cooktop has light so i put a general kitchen light in the middle or in front of pantry (or in the pantry on a little door switch or sensor) these new downlights are so much better than the old halogens i used to install when i was a apprentice they get so hot we used to get sheets of metal roll them up to create a barrier around light fitting and old wire core transformers but i suggest getting the 13w ones then have a dimmer to cut them back dimmers are usually $40 each and make sure you get the right type for your lights but theres nothing better and use the selector switch to select the bright white or cool white then i use the warm whites in the lounge maybe the dinning room we used to put 4 x 50w 90cm downlights in a bed room then two as they got better and now get away with one they come out at a sharper angile from the ceiling pushing out sideways from the start the old halogens would create a spotlight say 1.5-2m but the new style 13w led downlights are really just that much better i heard that sparkys now are having eye troubles from looking into them Jaspers House - 3 of 6.jpgJaspers House - 4 of 6.jpgthe old switchboard stove light 2 x power circuits one finishes in kitchen other the laundry and old electric 6kw heater not used anymore and the hot water is gas now so problaly got converted into a weather proof power point to plug the instantantious gas water heaterthe old switchboard stove light 2 x power circuits one finishes in kitchen other the laundry and old electric 6kw heater not used anymore and the hot water is gas now so problaly got converted into a weather proof power point to plug the instantantious gas water heaternew digital electrical meter so ACTEW gets every cent hahanew digital electrical meter so ACTEW gets every cent hahaJaspers House - 77 of 159.jpgJaspers House - 78 of 159.jpgJaspers - 5 of 10.jpgwhere the old walls were they used half the nails required to hold the ceiling sheets up so wack in 40 mm cloats in between the gaps then tape and plasterwhere the old walls were they used half the nails required to hold the ceiling sheets up so wack in 40 mm cloats in between the gaps then tape and plasterthe old quasar gas heater use to by mounted here and the flue must of leaked abit so we had to prop the ceiling up the cornice cement it in but i think we will replace some of this secection laterthe old quasar gas heater use to by mounted here and the flue must of leaked abit so we had to prop the ceiling up the cornice cement it in but i think we will replace some of this secection latersome of the options at bunningssome of the options at bunningsfitt off the new wire with surface sockets pop them back in the roof and plaster the holesfitt off the new wire with surface sockets pop them back in the roof and plaster the holesJaspers - 1 of 8.jpgJaspers - 2 of 8.jpgJaspers - 3 of 8.jpgJaspers - 14 of 35.jpgJaspers - 15 of 35.jpgJaspers - 16 of 35.jpgJaspers - 18 of 35.jpgJaspers - 20 of 35.jpgJaspers - 21 of 35.jpgJaspers - 22 of 35.jpgJaspers - 23 of 35.jpgso the hallway has been reduced but we will still map out the hallway with 3-4 70cm downlights 2-way or 3-way switchedso the hallway has been reduced but we will still map out the hallway with 3-4 70cm downlights 2-way or 3-way switchedyou can see the damage from the oyster fittings did to the plasteryou can see the damage from the oyster fittings did to the plastermy friend removed some of the internal walls being a ex gov with no load bearing walls internal to open it all upmy friend removed some of the internal walls being a ex gov with no load bearing walls internal to open it all upJaspers House - 7 of 49.jpgJaspers House - 8 of 49.jpgJaspers House - 10 of 49.jpgJaspers House - 110 of 159.jpgJaspers House - 111 of 159.jpgJaspers House - 112 of 159.jpgJaspers House - 114 of 159.jpgJaspers House - 116 of 159.jpg

MrCraigO
Finding My Feet

Re: rewiring the light circuit and installing dimmers with 9w 90cm led downlights with selector swit

stayed tuned for the finished project 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects