Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Popping noise from aluminium windows

norms
Getting Established

Popping noise from aluminium windows

We have recently built a house and have low e glass and large aluminium frame windows. The windows make continuous clicking/popping sound when the sun is out and same in the evening as the temperature cools down.

I understand that this is expansion/ contraction but I have never experienced this before. The house is double brick construction.

Is there anything that can be done to silence this apart from shading the windows.

IMG_7129.jpg

IMG_8917.jpg

IMG_8977.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Popping Aluminium Windows

Hi @norms

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about popping aluminium windows.

You're absolutely correct about thermal expansion. Unfortunately, we are talking about microns of movement from the alumnium, but this movement is loud enough to get your attention. Since the windows are newly installed perhaps you can contact the seller and inquire if they've encountered this situation before and were they able to come up with any solutions to the popping. 

I suggest as a possible stopgap measure to put silicone in all the joints of the aluminium. It will at least muffle the sound as the metal expands and retracts. Please make sure to clear this with the window manufacturer so it does not void your warranty on the windows. 

Let me tag our experienced members @ProjectPete, @tom_builds and @TedBear for their recommendations on how to possibly eliminate the window popping.

If you have any other questions we can help out with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
norms
Getting Established

Thank you Eric for your reply, the window manufacturers unfortunately is at a loss to suggest anything. I believe that the installation is too tight, the joints are extremely thin, I will not be able to put in silicon in, do you think silicone spray will help?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @norms

It's worth a shot, anything to help lubricate the expansion should at least lessen the noise. I suggest using Inox 300g Heavy Duty Aerosol Lubricant. Or at least a lubricant that will stay for a long period of time. I recommend trying it on the worst offenders before doing the entire house so that you at least have a test group to see if the lubricant is working.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to hearing your popping noises eliminated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Great suggestions @EricL .  I have never come across this situation.

If the spray or sealing of the joints doesn't do the trick I suggest that @norms tries phoning another window installer to discuss the problem (don't tell them it's a new install or they may lose interest in talking to you about it) to see if they have any experience to share on the issue.

ron12880
Just Starting Out

Hi @norms

I am experiencing the same issue like yours at the moment. The manufacturer and the builder also have no idea at all. Did you find a solution to fix it? If yes, can you share it? It would be much helpful!

Thanks in advacne!

norms
Getting Established

Hi Ron

Sorry can’t offer anything to fix the problem. We never got that fixed. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ron12880

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

It's great that @norms has given us an update on their aluminium window issue. Unfortunately, they still haven't found an effective solution to the overly tight assembly of their window frame. I suppose in time the window frame will work its way loose and the expansion noise will eventually go away. 

In the meantime, I suggest trying Loctite 222 10ml Threadlocker Adhesive on the joins. It should at least dampen the sound of the grinding aluminium when they expand. I recommend testing it on the window that's generating the loudest noise and seeing if it decreases its noise level.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your window frames fixed.

Eric

pc007
Just Starting Out

I have same problem. I tried spraying silicon lubricant but no luck. From another windows installer, I got to know that aluminium windows might be screwed too tightly and there is no space for expansion. That's why there is noise.

The installer advised me to get it reinstalled but that is not possible. Did anyone found another way to fix the issue or if there is a way to loosen it a bit rather than completely removing it and reinstalling. That would be very costly.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @pc007. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about noisy aluminium windows.

From reading through the comments, no one had found a solution to the issue. Let me tag @ron12880 to see if they ever solved the problem.

It could be that the windows are screwed too tightly or not secured well enough, or there is not enough clearance on the fixings holding them in place. I'd recommend having a professional glazier assess the situation and provide specific recommendations based on your windows and their construction. 

Installing weatherstripping or foam tape around the window frames could help absorb some of the movement and reduce the noise. Or, perhaps a glazier could loosen the frame fixings and add spacers to provide a gap for movement around the frame.

Is the noise being generated so frequently that you can track down where it's coming from on the frame? If you could determine its exact location, it would be easier to identify the issue causing it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects