Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop grit from entering via vents?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

How to stop grit from entering via vents?

Hi BW Community!

I'm living in a very old double brick house.  Each wall has vents up near the ceiling.  I've noticed that alot of outdoor debris and grit gets blown in, especially on days of high winds.  I'm asthmatic, so dust and grit need to be minimised.  The walls are double brick.  The outside wall has a matching vent. I think the space between inside vent and outside one is about 15cm.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can prevent so much grit from coming inside?  

Thanks 🤗

20230817_190339.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: The cover-up!

Hi @Tyro 

This is the traditional ventilation system in a double brick house. You can either upgrade the vent cover by removing the old cover and replacing it with an Accord 15 x 35cm White Metal Wall Vent. Some rendering work will be necessary to resize the opening.

The other option is to use a Builders Edge 150mm White Grill Vent with Insect Screen that comes with an insect screen. This should catch the larger particles that blow in from the other side.

If the vent is really bothering you and is affecting your health, I suggest having it moved to the corner of the room. But I don't suggest removing it as it equalizes the temperature of the house. If you wish to add a temporary filter to the existing vent you can cover it with Permastik 2m x 1.2m Fly Screen Mesh to reduce the particles coming in.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: The cover-up!

Thanks again @EricL 

There are too many vents to go with your replacement idea  and the ones here are the originals.  But your idea to put mesh on the outside sounds just the thing!  👏  The Permastik brand looks really good, however they don't recommend it for brick.  I'll get some of the by-the-metre mesh that Bunnings have on the big rolls and glue it on!

Cheers 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects